Prev: Space Urchins (Oops/Typo) Next: GEV capabilities

Re: GEV capabilities, was RE:Tank Riders {SG2]

From: "Jim 'Jiji' Foster" <jiji@m...>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 07:53:14 -0700
Subject: Re: GEV capabilities, was RE:Tank Riders {SG2]

On Mon, 16 Nov 1998 11:49:13   Thomas Anderson wrote:

>certianly true. there is a technology called Helicopter In Flight
>Refuelling (HIFR) whereby naval helos can be refuelled in flight via a
>pipe from a ship. i suppose Powersuit In Ride Recharging isn't out of
the
>question? not only do tanks have telephones on the back (well, these
days
>it will be an optical fibre jack) but power sockets as well.

As I recall, the Hammer's Slammers books mention that the
battery-powered one-man infantry hoppers would plug into the fusion
powerplant of the nearest tank or combat car to recharge while in a
laager. I'd think that if one is using something with sufficient excess
energy production (fusion plant being the prime case) adding an
auxiliary energy tap for power armor, smaller vehicles and other support
equipment would be a logigical thing to do.

Of course, one wonders how many PA suits at any one time could plug into
a tank. But at the scale of DSII, it'd be easy enough to imagine just
about any arrangement.

I'm coming in to this thread a bit late, but has anyone discussed the
fact that there may not be a lot of space that's convenient for PA (or
even infantry) to ride on? With small, remote controlled weapons and
rounded, organic-looking hulls to increase stealth and lower profiles,
it might be hard to find any convenient place to stand, sit, or even
hang on.

Again, I suppose at DSII's resolution, it doesn't make all that much
difference.

-----== Sent via Deja News, The Discussion Network ==-----
http://www.dejanews.com/  Easy access to 50,000+ discussion forums

Prev: Space Urchins (Oops/Typo) Next: GEV capabilities