Prev: Re: [ds] Ogres Next: Re: [ds] Modern Tanks.

Re: [DS] Tank designs was Re: [ds] Ogres

From: Kenneth Winland <kwinland@c...>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 15:09:00 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: [DS] Tank designs was Re: [ds] Ogres

	Howdy!

On Wed, 11 Nov 1998, Buji Kern wrote:

> Really? May I ask what your sources are? I'm just curious, as
everything
> I've ever read has stated they never did anything more than drive
around a
> proving ground w/ dummy turrets attached. And I believe the Russians
blew
> one up that they captured intact after overrunning a proving ground..

	Two Maus tanks were completed at Boeblingen.  One was complete
in
the full sense of the word (turret, guns, etc.), the other has been
called
complete (at least the turret and "some" weaponry).  One was destroyed
by
the Russians upon seizing the base, the other now resides at Kubinka.
If
you are really nice and the museum is not crowded, they will let you go
inside it...

	There is some good info on the Maus at the Bundesarchiv
(Stuttgart?), as well as the book by Sawondy and another by Feist.

	There were three other Maus under construction elsewhere.  None
of
those were anywhere near completed.  The maus was really neat; noothing
like the "white elephant" that some detractors have labeled it.
However,
the "defense" of the factory was nothing like a ful armoured engagement.
If I remeber correctly, a few shots were exchanged, and that was about
it
(time to brush up on my German again).

	Laterish!

	Ken

Prev: Re: [ds] Ogres Next: Re: [ds] Modern Tanks.