Prev: Re: [ds] modern tanks was Re: [ds] Ogres Next: Re: [ds] Modern Tanks.

Re: [ds] Modern Tanks

From: "Andrew & Alex" <Al.Bri@x...>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 14:57:53 +1300
Subject: Re: [ds] Modern Tanks

Brian Burger wrote:
>Andrew wrote:
>> ... I would also suggest that
>> Western fire control is even better than Brilliant fire control
(1D12).
>> Perhaps even to the stage of allowing a secondary crew quality roll,
much
>> like SGII, to help in hitting the target.
>> Or even allowing automatic hits if the crew are not underfire.

>I assume this is for moderns-only DS2, and not M1a1 vs future tech
stuff.
>If it's for moderns vs futuretech, then I think you're being way, way
>generous to modern western armour.
>
>If it's for moderns-only, I still think you might be being too generous
-
>it is possible to kill an M1, and they don't automatically kill
anything
>that comes into range. They're very very very tough, and very lethal,
but
>I do think you're being too generous.

    Tom Clancy and several writers with experience on M1 tanks usually
quote 95% accuracy. In the Gulf war battle of 73 Easting, quoted by
Tom Clancy, seems to indicate a one shot, one kill rate. OpFor in the
NTC in
the US, also quoted by Tom Clancy, again seems to confirm this. Tom
Clancy
also quotes US troops in Iraq as saying the Iraqis were just like OpFor
but
a lot easier!
    Also, the US Army trains against OpFor at the NTC that has the same
quality of electronics, better experience, and out numbers the US
forces. In
the example quoted by Tom Clancy in his book "Armoured Cavalry", a US
cavalry force defeated a OpFor force assisted with divine intervention
(god
guns)!
    I agree that it should be possible to kill a M1. You will note that
didn't give the M1 ECM or PDS to defend against missile attacks. A rear
or
top attack from a GMS should destroy the M1. Also, so will smaller
impacts
that draw "BOOM" results. After all, the M1 only defends with a D6 or D8
signature plus terrain.

Andrew Martin
-------------
Shared email: Al.Bri@xtra.co.nz
Web Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/
Blind See-Saw Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/SEE-SAW/
Dirtside II Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/DSII/
Dirtside II FAQ: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/DSII/FAQ/
GZG E-Mail FAQ:
http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/DSII/FAQ/Ettiquette.html
FUDGE GM Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/FUDGE/
Usagi Yoyimbo Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/UY/

Prev: Re: [ds] modern tanks was Re: [ds] Ogres Next: Re: [ds] Modern Tanks.