Prev: Re: [FT] SOF Insertion Next: Re: [SG2] [DS2] A list of questions on TOE and logistics

Re: [FT] SOF Insertion

From: Los <los@c...>
Date: Sun, 01 Nov 1998 11:24:16 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT] SOF Insertion

Thomas Barclay wrote:

> Brian spake thusly upon matters weighty:
>
> I believe the aerospace vehicle deploys a hook (Hence Fulton Skyhook)
> and the operator deploys a balloon tied to a rope or whatever. (He is
> attached to this). The vehicle makes a pass, snags the cable with the
> hook, and presto changeo off goes the operator into the sky at teh
> end of the cable. Then they are reeled in. I imagine the acceleration
> is quite obnoxious on the individual. I would think using a bungee
> would be better (Los anyone tried this?). In the future, acceleration
> cushioning via an intertial damper (portable) may let you reduce the
> effects of this acceleration making htis more useful.

This is almost never used for Humans and banned on and off. Saw a safety
bulletin
video where they were hauling in a SEAL in a  C130 when the cable
snapped 3 meters
from the ramp.

The way they deal with the Gee accell is by using a bungee chord. As the
plane
first snags the baloon you see the cable tighten, then he rockets off
like a sling
shot. Its really amazing. They did use it alot in the late sixties/early
seventies
and you can see an example in "The Green Berets."

Prev: Re: [FT] SOF Insertion Next: Re: [SG2] [DS2] A list of questions on TOE and logistics