Prev: Re: Chat Next: Re: [DS and SG] Regiments of the Crown

Re: [DS and SG] Regiments of the Crown

From: "John M. Atkinson" <john.m.atkinson@e...>
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 1998 22:56:34 -0700
Subject: Re: [DS and SG] Regiments of the Crown

Andrew & Alex wrote:

> laserlight <laserlight@mci2000.com> wrote:
> >Followed by a soul-chilling Rebel Yell: "YEEEEEEE HAH!"
> >(It ain't just the Brits who hold on to their traditions....)
>     Actually, according to one British TV series on the Celts that I
saw
> recently, the rebel yell is directly derived from Celtic war cries. I
don't
> know how true this is, but the series narrator seemed convinced.

There are a lot of links between Southern culture and Irish/Scottish
culture.  Remember that Georgia started as a prision colony, and the
rest of the Southern states started as dirt-farmers, at which the Irish
are much better (and had a much, much larger incentive to leave their
homeland for) than your average Englishman.  They tended to settle to
the North and set up shipyards (gross generalization alerts).  Anyone
with an interest in Bluegrass and Celtic folk has run across
similarities in the music--I have a song on CD done by an traditional
Irish outfit that I heard on a Bluegrass radio program.  You also find a
lot of cultural links in the antebellum Southern gentry's codes of honor
(Compare to Scottish inter-clan warfare).

John

Prev: Re: Chat Next: Re: [DS and SG] Regiments of the Crown