Prev: Re: [DS and SG] Regiments of the Crown Next: [FT] UN ship design

Re: [DS and SG] Regiments of the Crown

From: "John M. Atkinson" <john.m.atkinson@e...>
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 1998 22:59:04 -0700
Subject: Re: [DS and SG] Regiments of the Crown

Chen-Song Qin wrote:

> Or helicopters that don't fall out of the sky with no prior notice...
:(
> It's a mark of the bravery of Canadian troops that they still fly the
> labradors.

I saw an article about the Irish Defense Forces which this remark
reminds me off.  The author noted that according to the manufacturer,
every one of their helicopters should have (statistically speaking)
dropped out of the sky by now.

> > want) about 15K men.  Russians have something like 8K.  Part of this
is
> > that while the US division has a full-up logistical train, the
Russian
> > division does away with nonessentials like hospitals, kitchens,
trucks
> > to transport rations, etc.	Basically they are set up to supply fuel
and
> > ammo and nothing else.
>
> Well, Russian units are self-containing on the regiment level, aren't
> they?  Isn't this because they don't expect any support from higher
up?

To a certain extent.  Russian regiments can be compared to a round of
ammunition--the shell can be reused, but you gotta expend effort. Or you
can simply discard and load a new one into the rifle.

John M. Atkinson

Prev: Re: [DS and SG] Regiments of the Crown Next: [FT] UN ship design