Prev: RE: [SG2] Mission Cards for SG/DS Next: [FT/B5] Fighter bases

RE: [SG2] Terrain

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 05:50:12 -0500
Subject: RE: [SG2] Terrain

Glover, spake thusly upon matters weighty:
> Terrain tiles are a great idea, unfortunately a lot of people neihter
have
> them nor can afford them. I know a few people who use tiles; 12", 24"
and
> also a couple are doing 4'x2' reversible!

I meant get a deck of cards and fill in 1x1 sections of the board
according to that (it wasn't till later that it even occcured to me
that such tiles may exist).

> The system we've used in some of our games is simply to break the
table into
> sectors (12"x12", 24"x24" or quarters or whatever doesn't matter) and
then
> take it in turns to fill the gaps! This has worked quite well and is
able to
> be used with whatever terrain you have available. It also allows the
> defender to acheive one of the Maxims of war "fight the enemy on
ground of
> your own choosing". If he wants a dirty big hill to sit on then he can
have
> a good chance of finding one!

Of course, neither side would likely lay swamp. I like the idea of
random terrain (bias the deck towards the terrain you own obviously!)
and that way neither of you really has a choice. Sometimes you end up
fighting over an area that no one really wants but for whatever
reason people are fighting over. Vietnam and Korea both had this kind
of terrain - no reason for people to die for it, but it happened.

> Some people disregard the importance of balanced terrain a game but
IMHO it
> is something that is very important in the low level tactical game
like SG
> and even DS.

I can see your point. But part of the game is in dealing with the
terrain. Another interesting way to slant a scenario is give the
one player knowledge of terrain (the ambusher for example) and make
the other side buy/pick forces BEFORE they know what the terrain will
be.

> So, I think I'd rather see some guidlines on terrain in the scenario
cards
> rather than a complete random setting.

I agree. I did mention that if you had a scenario card, it could say
something like "Defend the bridge. Requires a bridge, a road to and
from the bridge (off opposite board edges) and a river under the
bridge that goes off board sides on each side. Rest of terrain random
assortment for Temperate Plains." That would give you the major
points, but let the rest be random.

Tom.
Thomas Barclay
Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009
Fax: (613) 831-8255

 -Bjarne Stroustrup

Prev: RE: [SG2] Mission Cards for SG/DS Next: [FT/B5] Fighter bases