Prev: Re: Some GMS Thoughts [SG2] Next: Re: (SG2] Orbital Insertion (an alternative approach to calculat

Re: (SG2] Orbital Insertion WITH equipment quality

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 17:29:13 -0500
Subject: Re: (SG2] Orbital Insertion WITH equipment quality

Thomas spake thusly upon matters weighty:
> But again, maybe we should be keeping in mind the quality level of
> the gear. Maybe that should factor in.
>
> For chutes, this might be
>
> Primitive - Chutes like state of the art today. No grav backup. You
> hit hard when you land. Succeptible to entanglements. Not all that
> manoevrable. Must open at least 400m.
> Basic - Standard chutes (only somewhat manoevreable,
> but no grav backup). Must open at least at 250m.
> Enhanced - Standard chutes with grav assist. More manoevreable,
> slightly less jarring. Must still open at 200m.
> Superior - Small Chute with Enhanced Grav assist. Very Manoevreable,
> reduced chance of entanglement, easier landing, can open as low as
> 150m.
> Advanced - No Chute, Full Grav Declerator. Ultra Manoevreable,
> minimal chance of entanglement, very easy landing (might even come in
> standing without discomfort), can open as low as 75m. Very robust
> (failure incidence on the order of 1 in 3000).

If we factor this into the drop info, we can easily integrate it in
drop distance from target point. Instead of rolling a set dice for
distance, we could modify the result to factor in the quality of your
drop gear. So, re-written to include the equipment factor...

To Drop On Target:
Roll Unit Quality die vs. Landing Difficult Die.
Landing Difficulty Die:
Parachute Drop (low-mid altitude): D4
HALO: d6
Orbital Insertion: d8
Modifiers to Difficulty Die:
Windy: +1 ds
Very Windy: +2 ds
Rain/Snow: +1 ds (plus wind conditions)
Drop Beacon on ground at LZ: -1 ds
Equipment Quality
   Primitive: +1 ds
   Basic: No Modifiers
   Enhanced: -1 ds
   Superior: -2 ds
   Advanced: -3 ds
Hot Landing (taking fire as you drop): + 1 ds
Terrain
  Hills: +1 ds
  Mountians: +2 ds (due to thermals, updrafts)
  Forest: +1 ds

If Unit Quality Die < Landing Difficulty Die:
Drop Center-Of-Drop Counter From: 36"
Scatter Distance around center-point:
Primitive Gear: D8x2
Basic Gear: D12
Enhanced Gear: D10
Superior Gear: D8
Advanced Gear: D6
HALO:  +1 ds to scatter distance
Orbital: double scatter distance, -2 on wound roll.
LALO/LAELO: scatter as if one equipment category better,  -2 on
wound roll.
Wounded on a 0 or 1 (no impact roll). May be wounded on a
2 (Impact D12 vs. armour). Minimum roll is 0 with modifiers included.

If Unit Quality > Landing Difficulty Die, but not 2x Landing Diff Die:
Drop Center-Of-Drop Counter From: 24"
Scatter Distance around center-point:
Primitive Gear: D12
Basic Gear: D10
Enhanced Gear: D8
Superior Gear: D6
Advanced Gear: D4
HALO:  +1 ds to scatter distance
Orbital: double scatter distance, -1 on wound roll.
LALO/LAELO: scatter as if one equipment category better,  -1 on
wound roll.
Wounded on a 0 (Impact D12 vs. armour). May be Wounded on a 1
(impact of D10 vs armour). Minimum roll is 0 with modifiers included.

If Unit Quality 2x Landing Difficulty Die or more:
Drop Center-Of-Drop Counter From: 12"
Primitive Gear: D10
Basic Gear: D8
Enhanced Gear: D6
Superior Gear: D4
Advanced Gear: On Target exactly.
HALO:  +1 ds to scatter distance
Orbital: double scatter distance, -1 on wound roll.
LALO/LAELO: scatter as if one equipment category better,  -1 on
wound roll.
Wounded on a 0 (Impact D10 vs. Armour). May be Wounded on a 1
(impact of D6 vs. armour). Minimum roll is 0 with modifiers included.

This means that a well trained unit with good equipment dropping into
reasonable terrain has a better chance of arriving roughly where they
wanted to be with less injury. Of course, jumping into a mountain
forest during high winds with poor equipment should still be fairly
lethal.

Remember also to apply the rule that any chit that bounces off the
table as a center-of-drop counts as a lost unit, and any figure that
ends up in harsh terrain is lost on a 1-2 on a unit quality die. Any
vehicle dropped in harsh terrain is lost on a 1-5 on quality die. In
urban terrain,vehicles lost automatically and trooops lost on 1-4. On
open water, troops lost automatically, PA on 1-3 as they may be able
to wade ashore.

Thomas Barclay
Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009
Fax: (613) 831-8255

 -Bjarne Stroustrup

Prev: Re: Some GMS Thoughts [SG2] Next: Re: (SG2] Orbital Insertion (an alternative approach to calculat