Prev: Re: (SG2] Orbital Insertion (an alternative approach to calculat Next: Re: (SG2] Orbital Insertion WITH equipment quality

Re: Some GMS Thoughts [SG2]

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 17:12:01 -0500
Subject: Re: Some GMS Thoughts [SG2]

Thomas spake thusly upon matters weighty:
> I was referring to this as an add-on capability, though I've now seen
> the work on earlier age laser homing missiles. Perhaps they are
> indeed cheaper. You do make a good argument.
>
> > >Laser Obscuring Aerosol Dispensers (LOADs)
> >	Firing the smoke dischargers should be as effective. I am
assuming that
> > the smoke dischargers fire effective smoke that blocks all sensors.
>
> I would assume that in many cases this would be a LOAD instead of
> 'smoke'. (Probably has EM blockers too). But some SDs may just
> discharge plain old vanilla smoke (and stuff emanating from burning
> vehicles would only be normal smoke).

As an addendum to my own comment, the think about the LOAD system iw
the laser reactive web used to detect the incoming laser. I assume
firing smoke would be (in SG2) an action (Fire action for vehicle
smoke dischargers). This is not what you want when another player
will GMS you during HIS turn. Thus you wouldn't be able to launch
smoke then (if one unit was firing GMS and one was designating,
between being designated and being hit you would have an opportunity
to activate that unit had it not already been active that turn and
then you could pop smoke).  The LOAD system makes this automatic
(someone designates you, but before the GMS is resolved, your LOAD
goes off).

I liked the idea of putting a "Designated" counter on a target that
was laser designated. That would be an easy way to track if something
was designated. Then remove it if LOS or LOAD or smoke or something
obscures the designation.

Tom.
Thomas Barclay
Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009