Prev: Re: Planetary defenses Next: RE: (OT) Rules "inspiration" (was [OT] Bring and Battle

Human aggression in space

From: Chen-Song Qin <cqin@e...>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 16:33:22 -0600 (MDT)
Subject: Human aggression in space

I always wonder about the authors who think humans would be aggressive
compared to other alien species...  How many other species have they
met?
In human history at least, aggression and greed tend to be linked with
large scale journeys of discovery and conquest.  So you can know what
kind
of aliens would be travelling out there.  Humans might be viewed as
silly
naive beings who think aggression and greed are bad things...

-----

Even the engineers are not *this* depraved.  This must be the work of
the
Med. students.

						- A friend of mine

-----

On Wed, 30 Sep 1998, Nyrath the nearly wise wrote:

> Jonathan Jarrard wrote:
> >
> > In a book called SALVAGE AND DESTROY (can't remember the author), a
> > scout for an extremely stable, ancient galactic civilization decides
> > that Earth must be destroyed because of our aggressive nature and
(more
> > importantly) the fact that the U.S. and Soviet sub forces would
provide
> > us with a ready-made war fleet as soon as we discovered FTL and
> > anti-grav (apparently these were closely related, easy to build, and
the
> > sort of unpredictable theoretical discovery that could come at any
> > time.)
>
>	There is another book called Gilpin's Space by Reginald
Brentnor,