Prev: Human aggression in space Next: [OT] Re: Human aggression in space

RE: (OT) Rules "inspiration" (was [OT] Bring and Battle

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 18:09:27 -0500
Subject: RE: (OT) Rules "inspiration" (was [OT] Bring and Battle

Tim spake thusly upon matters weighty:
> >I am ready to amend my statement: I don't think anyone who
> >can't do this much probability math, doesn't have someone to do it
for him
> >AND doesn't bother with equivalent amount of playtesting, has no
business
> designing
> >fundamentally mathematical processes, i.e. games.
>
> I would agree with this statement. Of examples the one that got to
> me was the dreaded DAT (Damage Allocation Table) in SFB. This
> has a probability slant that weapons had a higher probability
> of being initially hit, and provoked a special later sanctioned
> tactic called the Miazia (sp?) effect. This always really annoyed
> me but it was impossible to *fix* the sacred table.

Well, they also had battle damage cards which were a different set of
probs but WAY faster for resolving damage (of course, after a certain
point I don't think they worked anymore....but that was SFB...a rule
a day....). The effect you are referring to was where you knocked
down an enemies shields and then started firing one or two weapons
per impulse at the target because you got more A column hits from
that (which was bad for his weapons).  Better to do that than one big
nasty salvo which got past the 'black bold underlined' chart entries
which could only be hit once (and were weapons heavy). That was an
interesting, if unintentional, mechanic of the game. And I think the
SFB players did sufficient mathematical analysis to drive anyone
insane......

FT may lack some of the cruiser-duel feel of SFB, but OTOH, I can run
a full fleet engagement in one night.....

Tom.
Thomas Barclay
Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009
Fax: (613) 831-8255

 -Bjarne Stroustrup

Prev: Human aggression in space Next: [OT] Re: Human aggression in space