Prev: Re: Submarines in space Next: Human aggression in space

Re: Planetary defenses

From: agoodall@s... (Allan Goodall)
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 22:16:57 GMT
Subject: Re: Planetary defenses

On Wed, 30 Sep 1998 10:23:38 -0700, Los <los@cris.com> wrote:

>Again I have to ask. Where are we finding all these rocks to drop?
>Admittedly our solar system has a nice supply, which still requires
>getting out there to get them. But what about other solar systems? Do
>they all have asteroid belts?

Simple answer: we don't know. We're only now getting an idea of the
prevalence
of planets, and even still our statistical sample is woefully short! If
we
assume that Sol's system isn't radically out of whack with the rest of
the
universe, then asteroids and other debris are probably pretty likely in
system with a planet.

But, again, our statistical sample is such that we can't make any
realistic
predictions. In other words, pick what you want! Since this is science
FICTION, I'd assume most habitable systems are like Sol and have
asteroids.

> Any rock big enough to cause teh kind of
>dmagae necessary to get at hardened undergorund facilities (for
example)
>will begin causing ebvironmental damage (nuclear winter type stuff) if
>you have to drop them in sufficient quantity. Might as well just use
>bombs.

Except bombs are more expensive, dangerous to transfer, and more prone
failure.A lucky hit to a cargo hold full of rocks isn't going to destroy
your
mass driver ship. In fact, an argument could be made for a mass driver
ship to
carry her ammunition on the OUTSIDE to use as additional armour.

You might even get some energy advantages by the fact that you don't
have to
carry your ammunition around with you, until you get close to the
target.

Don't forget radiation. While a nuclear bomb might be as devestating as
planet killing asteroid, after the dust starts to settle the bomb leaves
the
target radioactive. A rock doesn't (although I'd imagine you could find
a rock
that would... :-)  ).

>It wasn't a base it was a colony. Is Finland rigged for self destruct
in
>case the Russians attack? I hope my home town isn't. <grin>

Good point. I'd be willing to bet that something like Groom Lake is,
however.

Allan Goodall	       agoodall@sympatico.ca

"We come into the world and take our chances
 Fate is just the weight of circumstances
 That's the way that Lady Luck dances
 Roll the bones." - N. Peart

Prev: Re: Submarines in space Next: Human aggression in space