Prev: Re: GZG DS2 SG2 TD: Tank Destroyers Design Next: RE: [OT] Paranoia (not the game...)

Re: GZG {OT] Paranoia (not the game...)

From: Niall Gilsenan <ngilsena@i...>
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 1998 12:47:02 +0100
Subject: Re: GZG {OT] Paranoia (not the game...)

At 08:06 03/09/98 +0200, you wrote:
>Noah Doyle wrote:
>
>> Dear Jon Tuffley,
>>
>> Just some late night, paranoid thoughts;
>>
>> GDW goes under.  TSR bought by Wizards of the Coast.  West End Games
>falls
>> to corporate stupidity (profits used to finance a shoe business).
>Avalon
>> Hill (Panzerblitz, Squad Leader, THE Avalon Hill!) folds, and goes to

>> Hasbro, who'll probably chop it up.
>
>Yesterday I learned that AH has stopped taking orders, except for one
>last round in this or the next week. Not sure how reliable this is, but
>that's the explanation I got when I asked why the For the People (FTP -
>interesting acronym <g>) I'd ordered hadn't turned up yet :-(
>
>The same rumour claims that Hasbro will discontinue all AH games for
the
>near future. I hope this isn't true.
>
>> Tell me GZG is doing well.
>
>Well... at least Jon hasn't hinted at the opposite, so we'll just hope
>for the best...
>
>Oerjan Ohlson
>oerjan.ohlson@nacka.mail.telia.com

Its one reason I like to try and support small companies.  The big ones
seem to go bust on a regular basis or else turn into Wotc or GW.
Judging
by how busy Jon is these days I'd say he's in no danger of closing
unless
he has overexpanded too quickly (the usual mistake of small business).
I'd
buy shares in it... Not that thats much of a recommendation to anyone.

As for Hasbro I've heard that they "may" keep some of the AH line alive
but
not much.   Hasbro is really only interested in the family market games.
There was a discussion on SFCONSIM about this and this seems to be the
consensus.
Niall Gilsenan,
DIT Cathal Brugha St,
Dublin 1,
Ireland.

ngilsena@indigo.ie
The miscellany (Sci-Fi combat games)
http://members.tripod.com/~Cwintel/Scifi.html

Prev: Re: GZG DS2 SG2 TD: Tank Destroyers Design Next: RE: [OT] Paranoia (not the game...)