Prev: GZG List Code proposal. Next: RE: GZG List Code proposal.

Re: GZG List Code proposal.

From: Jonathan White <Jw4@b...>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 12:06:21 +0100
Subject: Re: GZG List Code proposal.

At 22:31 20/08/98 +1200, you wrote:
><snip> subject filter headings<snip>
>    After these codes would come the description of what the message is
>about.
>I welcome comments and suggestions. Here's a water bucket for those hot
>flames! Splash!
Not a flame as such, but I've been on various mailing lists that have
tried
these and they tend to be pretty hard to enforce. Especially with emails
that put RE: on subjects automatically and things like that. The only
way
to enforce it would be to have a lot of sublists that all feed into the
man
list and have automatic header editing, which unfortunately the
listserver
doesn't allow. I think if people want to do this voluntarily this would
be
very useful, but I don't want to have to 'police' people who forget for
example. And unless it's done for every mail message atomatically, it's
usefulness as a mailfilter target is fair to middlin.

OK, so, this is what I propose. I would *like* people to put the
following
text somewhere in the subject fields, but I'm not going to shout at
People
over it.

Game Related:
[GZG-FT]
[GZG-DS]
[GZG-SG]
		All of these for *direct* game discussion- house rules,
amendments etc

Other game things
[GZG-MIN] (posts about miniatures, micro machines etc)
[GZG-TER] (posts about building terrain etc)
[GZG-TIP] (any other useful *GAME* tips)

Internet things
[GZG-URL] - post of a web page that people might like
[GZG-PRG] - URL/FTP of programs and utilities, spreadsheets etc

Secondary subjects
[GZG-BCK] - background info and discussion - all the politics etc
[GZG-ENT] - discussion about TV, movies, books etc

Specials
[GZG-ANN] - This one's for me. Important list messages go under this
subject. I *expect* everyone to read these, and I also expect all