Prev: Re: SG2, Changes to initiating close assault rules Next: Re: EFSB to FT:FB

Re: Multi-Grade FTL (Was Re: Launching non fighters (FTL drive))

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 14:57:13 -0500
Subject: Re: Multi-Grade FTL (Was Re: Launching non fighters (FTL drive))

Jared spake thusly upon matters weighty:

> * I have included Civilian,Military, and Enhanced instead of Standard,
> Enhanced, and Superior. pick your poison.
> ** Military is set at 10% so all the current designs would not be
> invalidated - it would suck if the ministry of defense suddenly
realized
> that after the massive cost layout their entire fleet was outfitted
with
> civilian drives.

ROTFL!

("Admiral, that Stock Freighter is outrunning us!"
"Captain, that is no *STOCK* freighter.... it has military
drives....."
"Admiral, but we do also don't we?"
 "Unfortunately Captain, the Cabinet, in all its *WISDOM* decided it
would be far cheaper to buy surplus trash-barge drives. In an effort
to make us feel better, they painted them black and silver and
installed some new blinking lights. But they're still just barge
engines.....")

> Now if you stick with the GZG description for Jump drives, we are told
> "The fastest cycle possible is around one jump per six hours, but this
> requires _Military Drives_ and power plants along with thte most
> sophisticated jump navigation software..."

So would Superior Drives cut this time (to say 3 or 4 hours)?

> So there exists an idea of graded drives in the descriptions.  Also,
since
> there is a limited, but apparently variable range to jumps, and
increasing
> inaccuracy with range, It may be reasonable to assume that more
> drives also reflect the special navigation software.

And the more advanced drives can probably jump down non-standard jump
lanes easier (the plotted ones being normal traffic routes used by
merchants between known points).

> So strategically: (enhance those campaign games)
> More advanced drives allow faster travel time, attributed to faster
> turn-around and longer jumps.

And less odds of a misjump (if you like the Traveller ideas) or
loss-in-transit.

> Tactically:
> True, there is not a lot of use for FTL in tactical game, but here's
some
> ideas:
>
> 1) Leaving under FTL - FT p23 last 2 paragraphs say that on turn of
> announcement ship may not thrust or use any weapons, but still moves
full
> distance, next turn is half-movement and then leaves the board.
Civilian
> FTL could be full-movement for both turns (or even longer), while
Superior
> FTL could be single turn of full movement with no second turn at all.

Good idea.

> 2) Dangerous translations (the suicide jumps) - FT p.24 says that
Anything
> within 6" of translating ship force a die roll for problems. First of
all,
> anyone that tries to deliberately use this tactic to damage enemy
ships as
> anything but a dying ship's last gasp should be slapped.  But beyond
that,
> Civilian drives could have a larger 10" radius, Superior drives a 4"
radius
> (tighter, more controlled jump field, useful for squadron operations)

Or one could argue the more powerful jump field of Superior drives
means they should be the ones with the 10" radius. (Especially if it
is the suicide manoevre).

Prev: Re: SG2, Changes to initiating close assault rules Next: Re: EFSB to FT:FB