Prev: Unofficial Stargrunt II Web Site Next: RE: Star Wars Figures

Re: Range in FT

From: "Steve Pugh" <steve@w...>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 10:03:30 +0100
Subject: Re: Range in FT

Los wrote:
> Just curious. At what "real range" does everyone see engagements
happening
> in FT? What does one inch apporximate out to in kilometers?

A long time ago I worked out a tine and distance scale from the orbits
section
in MT. It came to 1 inch = 1000km and 1 turn = 20 minutes (both very
approx).

Since then a lot of people have adopted this as an unofficial scale for
games
set in the GZG universe (and similar backgrounds). It seems to make
sense
when the tech level of the setting is considered.

> Starfire where enagements ranges are measured in Light seconds which
> means vast ranges. In those fights it's rare to get into visual
range).

Well with my scale 1 light second is 300 inches but the beauty of FT is
that the
scale doesn't matter at all. A scale of 1 inch = 1 light second is
perfectly
possible (just don't use 6" radius plate for a planet!)

Steve

--
"And all I ask is a tall ship, and a star to steer her by."
"Though a cloaking device, pulsed phaser cannons

Steve Pugh  http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Rampart/4173/intro.html

Prev: Unofficial Stargrunt II Web Site Next: RE: Star Wars Figures