Prev: Re: DSII Guided Missile System Proposal Next: Re: Fleet Book Errata ?

RE: Crew for Space Stations

From: "Glover, Owen" <oglover@m...>
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 1998 09:32:44 +1000
Subject: RE: Crew for Space Stations

-----Original Message-----
From: Ground Zero Games [mailto:jon@gzero.dungeon.com]

>I think Michael's comment about using PA for disaster rescue was more
along
>the lines of using it to dig/pull survivors out of rubble etc. - the
most
>immediate need in, say, an earthquake situtation. We have all seen the
>newsreels where the rescuers have to dig people out by hand, often at

The problem with using heavy equipment in a disaster like collapsed
buildings is the risk of causing further dislodgement of debris. Here in
Oz a few months back there was a ski lodge collapse (mud slippage
carried away a chalet) and workers had to be very careful moving any
debris as the threat from further slippage was great. Cranes used for
the heavier items was discontinued for this reason. In the end a tunnel
was literally dug in to retrieve the only survivor.

Personally I think PA in many of these situations would have advantages
and disadvantages like any other equipment, but I don't believe that
they are the solution to all problems. Hey look what happens to PA
troops if totally unsupported by leg infantry; once they are suppressed
they become just as easy prey.

Owen G

Prev: Re: DSII Guided Missile System Proposal Next: Re: Fleet Book Errata ?