Prev: RE: X to GZG conversions... Next: RE: X to GZG conversions...

Re: X to GZG conversions...

From: Matthew Seidl <seidl@v...>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 07:40:59 -0600
Subject: Re: X to GZG conversions...

[SMTP:jon@gzero.dungeon
>.com] wrote:
>>
>> I've been having some thoughts recently about a VERY stripped-down
small
>> booklet of just the basic FT core rules (suitably updated), explained
in
>> very simple terms especially for newcomers, young players and
non-gamers -
>> sort of "FT Lite".
>> Any opinions on this idea? Could even be sold as a package with a few
ship
>> minis!
>>
>> Jon (GZG)
>

>This is what SFB did as an introduction set and
>it was actually very playable. It had rules
>board and card counters. It also had a robot
>opponent to train with. Best thing SFB published.
>
>A while ago you published the Beer & Pretzels FT
>rules. These are possibly too simplistic but as you
>sugest just the latest core rules should be fine.
>I think the automated opponent really helps people
>try out the rules before going public/on-line
>
>If you are targetting young gamers then the language will
>have to be appropriate
>
>Contents could be everything to get you started

[Basic contents snipped]

I would second the idea of BASIC contents.  The goal would be to make
this cheap enough for impulse purchase.  If you throw in mini's and
the price is like $20, people will hesitate.  But if tis like $8 or
$10, with counters and maps and all, that would be great.  Maybe even
do a $3 or $4 version (a la Cheap Ass Games) with the total minimium.
Assume people have dice somewhere.  All they really need is 4 pages of
rules, some cheap counters, a turn guide, and ship sheets.  If it was
that cheap, I would expect a number to sell a large number just on the
name and reviews.

-=- Matthew L. Seidl		email: seidl@cs.colorado.edu
   =-=
=-= Graduate Student			Project . . . What Project?
   -=-
-=- http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~seidl/Home.html 	 -Morrow Quotes
   =-=
=-= http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~seidl/lawsuit
   -=-

Prev: RE: X to GZG conversions... Next: RE: X to GZG conversions...