Prev: Re: [?] Tournament Fleet Composition Next: Re: [?] Tournament Fleet Composition

RE: Platoon Leaders in SG2

From: "Glover, Owen" <oglover@m...>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 15:29:28 +1000
Subject: RE: Platoon Leaders in SG2

> ----------
> From: 	Thomas Barclay[SMTP:Thomas.Barclay@sofkin.ca]
> Subject:	Re: Platoon Leaders in SG2
>
	>Also, curiously enough, if you look at "Aliens" and the like,
it may
	>well be that units are linked by .1 to .3 Watt digital radios,
which
	>means anything up to a couple of kms could be within normal
comms
	>range. We don't currently harness this level of comms, but it
is
	>becoming more feasible (technically - perhaps not
operationally, but
	>I suspect that will change) by the day.

Well,, in Northern Australia, the Australian Army infantry units will
routinely deploy a platoon dispersed in two half platoon patrols or down
to section (squad) patrols separated by large distances ie in terms of
kilometers!  Mounted in vehicles using a combination of HF and VHF
comms, the platoon can be deployed quite widely dispersed for the
conduct of certain operations.The use of radio comms down to section
level results in the platoon commander having a much greater flexibility
to command. That is definitely the future for modern warfare and it is
exactly what SGII and DSII reflect.

Conduct of operations in close country (read jungle) or urban terrain
benefits hugely from secure radio comms where the LOS from Platoon
Commander to Section Commanders is often limited to 20 m or less (2
inches in SG!).

Owen G

Prev: Re: [?] Tournament Fleet Composition Next: Re: [?] Tournament Fleet Composition