Prev: Re: Anime Review: Armored Trooper VOTOMS Next: RE: Platoon Leaders in SG2

Re: [?] Tournament Fleet Composition

From: jatkins6@i... (John Atkinson)
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 00:12:58 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: [?] Tournament Fleet Composition

You wrote:

 Allow two >rounds of combat before missile launch and there aren't
going to be many of >your ships left. Then my pinprick ships go after
your heavies. They won't

Ummm. . . Do note that a missle has a launch range of 54 inches.  Why
in God's Name would I get close enough for some C-battery-toting ship
to shoot at me?

>	Now if you have a house rule that allows PDAF's to attack any
target in >range, then 1/6 (more if there is doubling up which there

Then what's the point of taking ADAFs?	Indeed, what's the point of
taking fighters?  At that point you're not playing Full Thrust.  You're
playing "I HATE Fighters!" or whatever you call it.

>Allow ECM to degrade chances of a hit, then ADAF's and PDAF's from the

Anyone got some house rules on that put together?  I may want to
suggest them to my group, but it helps to have them in writing.

>target ships (vanilla rules) and you can see that not a lot of
missiles are >going to get through. And we still haven't considered the

Yeah. . . "If we throw in 3 house rules and assume you're playing like
an idiot by delaying your launch until spit distance".	When I used
them, I launched at such long range that I ended up targeting two on a
frigate because that was the only thing the edge of the line could
reach.	Made a satisfying "puff!"

>capitals. Your swarm fleet is effective at 24" range and if you can

Who told you that?  Missles.   Three turns endurance.  Times 18 inches
movement.  I dunno about anyone else, but ships start our games at the
same speed as the thrust of their slowest ship.  Which generally is
two, unless you're one of those wierdos that likes pouring money into
your drive systems.  (Which is a mistake--I've gamed against people
with Thrust 6 Battleships.  Just not cost-effective.)  Makes it reaaaly
easy to catch someone with a Turn 2 launch.

>	Now no doubt you'll argue that not all of your 6000pts (I have
assumed >that you meant 6000pts a side which is really HUGE game) has

Yeah.  It is.  What happens when the subgenius running the game
advertises 2K points per person, five people show up, and the guy
running the game hasn't got the brains to move into the next room and
take over that table too.  Which was free.  *Sigh*  And has yet to come
up with scenarios, but wants to start a campaign.  *Sigh*  Anyone in
the NoVa/Southern MD area who's free during the days?  I work evenings,
except Monday evenings.  Gamers only, please--if you play the game so
you have an excuse to show off your nifty paint jobs, I hope you die an
agonizing death soon.  I spray my ships grey and paint the bases black.
 And that's _IT_.

>the swarm or capitals, that you have escorts and crusiers. But then I

Umm. . . Four capital ships.  No, five.  Includes a Carrier.  Lots of
escorts and cruisers.

>P.S. It is a neat design and I might just take some with my other
escorts >next time (he he he he he ha ha HA HA) :)

They are only scary if you take a lot of 'em.  Three or four would be a
joke.  My rule of thumb is 6 per 1K points.

John M. Atkinson

Prev: Re: Anime Review: Armored Trooper VOTOMS Next: RE: Platoon Leaders in SG2