Prev: RE: Platoon Leaders in SG2 Next: Re: Platoon Leaders in SG2

Re: [?] Tournament Fleet Composition

From: Jerry Han <jhan@i...>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 01:42:59 -0400
Subject: Re: [?] Tournament Fleet Composition

John Atkinson wrote:
> Who told you that?  Missles.	 Three turns endurance.  Times 18 inches
> movement.  I dunno about anyone else, but ships start our games at the
> same speed as the thrust of their slowest ship.  Which generally is
> two, unless you're one of those wierdos that likes pouring money into
> your drive systems.  (Which is a mistake--I've gamed against people
> with Thrust 6 Battleships.  Just not cost-effective.)  Makes it
reaaaly
> easy to catch someone with a Turn 2 launch.

Ah; you're the first group I've heard of that actually starts so
slow.  It definately depends on the size of your playing surface,
but most games I've played usually start at speeds 8-12.  I've
started as low as 6 when I played on a really small table, but
I tend to keep speeds high.  (I've heard 'Speed is Life' too many
times.	(8-) )

Once ships start going really fast (16-24), missiles and fighters
become a lot harder to use, because of their limited speed.  And on
really big tables, I've heard of AVERAGE speeds around the 24 mark,
which greatly reduces, if not eliminates, the threat fighters and
missiles have.

Just goes to show how hard it is to balance scenarios.	(8-)

J.

--
 *** Jerry Han - jhan@idigital.net - http://www.idigital.net/jhan ***
       "And we will raise our hands, and we will touch the sky;

Prev: RE: Platoon Leaders in SG2 Next: Re: Platoon Leaders in SG2