Prev: RE: PBeM FT/EFSB Vector movement (Excel) Next: Re: Ship Naming Convention (was: RE: What, no messages?)

Re: Ship Naming Convention (was: RE: What, no messages?)

From: John Leary <realjtl@s...>
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 1998 16:53:01 -0700
Subject: Re: Ship Naming Convention (was: RE: What, no messages?)

Tony Christney wrote:
...Snip...(JTL)
> Interesting bit of trivia: Estimated human population of N.A. before
> arrival of Europeans - 250 million.
...Snip...(JTL)

Tony,
    Interesting bits of trivia like this make propaganda look like
the truth!

 Here is one from the afro-american school:
"In the two hundred years prior to the (U.S.) civil war, more than
300 million slaves were thrown overboard from slavers along the
west coast of Africa.	This forever changed the feeding habits
of sharks in the region."

 Working the numbers gives:
    1.5 million slaves a year.
    4110 slaves a day.
(To make things simple lets say 10 ships a day with 411 slaves.
Lets also say that these slave ships can do 100 miles a day and
that the distance to be sailed is 5000 miles (This is in fact
the distance to Ascension island (just below the equator, more than
1000 miles from Africa).
    50 ships returning from Africa with slaves.
    50 ships going to Africa for slaves.

So 100 ships are sailing back and forth, not a single slave arrived
in the new world, and nobody has made as much as a penny on the
slave trade.

    While the U.S.A. is about to go thru another cencus, the last
number I recall for population was 230 million.  I personally feel
that if the indians numbered 250 million, the europeans would have
been pushed into the sea.
    I do not wish to bore everyone with doing the numbers again
(and I am sorry for having done so!) but PC is just something
that sets me off!

Sorry 'bout that,
John L.

Prev: RE: PBeM FT/EFSB Vector movement (Excel) Next: Re: Ship Naming Convention (was: RE: What, no messages?)