Prev: Re: Ship Naming Convention (was: RE: What, no messages?) Next: Re: Ship Naming Convention

Re: Ship Naming Convention (was: RE: What, no messages?)

From: Tony Wilkinson <twilko@o...>
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 1998 01:01:33 +0100
Subject: Re: Ship Naming Convention (was: RE: What, no messages?)

Ok I can't stay out of this. Had to put my two bobs worth in for the
painting, have to do now.

	Carriers-	Sydney, Melborune (the only carriers we've ever
had)

	LCV-		Encounter (former crusier in the British
Australian Squadron)

	CVE-		Kimbla (WWII supoort ship)

	BB's, SD's	Pemelway (aboriginal leader who opposed the
whites for the
first 15 years after settlement), Blamey, Freyburg, Monash, Chauvel
(military commanders of Aus and NZ WWI&II) Brunam-burnam (aboriginal
leader
who raised the aboriginal flag on the white cliffs of Dover on Australia
Day 1988 for the bicentenial of white settlement and claimed England for
his people. I couldn't resist naming a ship after such a cheeky bastard)

	Crusiers-	Adelaide, Perth, Canberra, Hobart, Port Morseby,
Wellington (all
cities, only Port Morseby not a former Crusier of the RAN or RNZN)
Tiger,
Thresher, White, Hammerhead (these are the "Shark" class being a patrol
boat model from SD, I forget which one exactly. Paint the nose grey
rather
than dreamtime style and put eye spots where the forward launch tubes
are.
Very Cool.)

	DD's-
		Battle class-	Milne Bay, Lone Pine (Mark major battles
of the Australian
army, there were some Kiwis at Lone Pine, SD figures)
		Attack class-	Assail, Bayonet (ESU figures, former RAN
patrol boats)
		Tribal Class-	Pitanjarra, Mekeo, Ngati-toa, Tainui,
Tauranga, Fore
(Aboriginal, Moari and PNG tribes, NSL super destroyers)
		River class-	Parramatta, Stuart, Yarra, Waramunga
(Aussie rivers and all
former RAN destroyers ie 3 Parramattas) Sipek (PNG) and Waikato (NZ)
(all
figures are NSL missle destroyers.)

	Frigates-
		V.C. class-	Cutler, Rattrey, Upham and Holbrook (all
winners of the
Victoria Cross Cutler became Governor of NSW (I work in Govt House),
Rattery lived in my home town and was a friend of the family (I never
knew
until he died) Upham was a Kiwi (New Zealander) one of 3 people to win
the
V.C. twice and the only one to win both in the same war, Holbrook is the
only V.C. winner to have a town named after him (was Germantown until he
won the V.C. in WWI)Figues are NSL).
		Country class-	Forbes, Wagga-wagga (both country towns
in NSW Australia,
Wagga also former RAN corvette, NAC figures)
		Animal class- Taipan, Moa (self explainatry, NAC heavy
frigates)

	Corvettes-	Dubbo, Mackay, Mt Isa (Australian towns all
former RAN
corvettes, NSL figures)

	Fighter squadrons have numbers of existing or fromer RAAF and
RAN squadrons.

	I hope this might give people some ideas. At one stage I was
planning to
use names for Ian M Banks' "Culture" novels but some of these I just
could
not paint on the models or their bases. I have a list somewhere if
anyone
is interested.

	Tony.
	twilko@ozemail.com.au

Prev: Re: Ship Naming Convention (was: RE: What, no messages?) Next: Re: Ship Naming Convention