Prev: Re: Perfect Campaign Rules Next: Re: Ship Naming Convention (was: RE: What, no messages?)

Re: Ship Naming Convention (was: RE: What, no messages?)

From: agoodall@s... (Allan Goodall)
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 1998 22:29:14 GMT
Subject: Re: Ship Naming Convention (was: RE: What, no messages?)

On Sun, 05 Apr 1998 21:50:41 -0500 (EST), "Warning: dates on calendar
are
closer than they appear" <KOCHTE@stsci.edu> wrote:

>No, you misunderstood (actually as I was re-editing the file a '(' got
>dropped which might have led to this confusion). I started to name them
>after NA tribes, but as I ran out of names, I turned to other tribal
types
>and ancient cultures (thus it *should* read "Native American tribes,
other
>(examples here)". Otherwise 'Aztec' wouldn't fit very well, either.

Sure they would. Unless you meant Native American as in from the US.
I've
always felt that was too artificial when talking about native North
Americans.
The tribal range didn't recognize the artificial borders imposed on them
later
by Europeans. Aztec would be fine. So would the Incas, really, if you
talk
about "Native Americans" coming from "The Americas."0

>By Native American I mean to include all of North America, not just
>the States.  :-)

That's why I mentioned the "Canadian" tribes. I figured if you were
running
low on tribes that you had to add Zulus and Mongols, you needed some
additional names. :-)  Don't forget Toltecs, Mayans, and Incas as well.

Allan Goodall	     agoodall@sympatico.ca

"Once again, the half time score,
 Alien Overlords: 142,000. Scotland: zip."
  - This Hour Has 22 Minutes

Prev: Re: Perfect Campaign Rules Next: Re: Ship Naming Convention (was: RE: What, no messages?)