Prev: Re: Alternative SG II APCs Next: re: Alternative SG2 Apc's etc

Re: Alternative SG II APCs

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 09:59:30 +0000
Subject: Re: Alternative SG II APCs

>On Mon, 23 Mar 1998, Stuart Murray wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> >Another source of sg2 armoured vehicles is the Roco Minitanks line;
these
>> >are HO (1/87) or 1/72 scale (I can't recall which) vehicles, mostly
modern
>> >European vehicles.
>>
>> Does Roco have a web site with piccies ?
>>
>I don't know about pictures (I use a text-based browser most of the
time)
>but go to http://www.rocousa.com/ for a catalog - and some really cheap
>prices, as they're selling all Roco stock.
>
>There's also the Roco homepage, which I haven't got the URL for -
>searching for 'Roco Minitanks' on Infoseek turned it up.
>
>> >I look for foreign vehicles, which for me here in Canada means
European
>> >units, usually...no use using Yank vehicles, an M113 with a
hoverskirt is
>> >still an M113 - they're too damn common. The South African military
also
>> >has some interesting rare vehicles, if I can find models, and
there's a
>> >bunch of Japanese tank models at the local hobby store that're
>> >interesting. (Real Japanese tanks, not magna...)
>>
>> For me one of the best 'Sci-Fi' look tanks of today is the Israeli
Merkava.

>No arguement here - the latest mods of the M1a2 are also pretty SF
>looking, it's just that EVERYONE can recognize American vehicles,
whereas
>European and other military's vehicles have recived less press. (here,
at
>least...)
>
>Anyone know of any SF-looking wheeled APCs available in model form?

Heller, the French model firm, did (a short while back) a couple of
items
in their "Cliclac" (clip-together simple kits for kids) range, which
were
different versions of the French VAB 6 -wheel AFV family in about 1/48
or
1/43 scale - very "SF" and perfect for SGII. I think they came in an AA
gun
and armoured car versions, either of which could be used as an APC by
replacing the turrets. Only a few quid each, and worth searching for in
toy
or model shops - they may even still be in production - look for some
very
garish toy-like box art.

For 6mm stuff, someone mentioned South African equipment - the Ratel APC
family is available from Scotia (and probably other makers by now) and
looks very SF - the cargo-carrying logistics variant in particular makes
great SF wheeled loadcarrier.

Jon (GZG)