Prev: The wide open road Next: Re: The wide open road

Weapon Question

From: "chad" <chadtaylor@d...>
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 1998 21:19:10 -0500
Subject: Weapon Question

I was working up some conversions for Full Thrust based on Star Trek
(actually, Starfleet Battles) and have come to the Hydrons.  I have
worked
up two versions of the Hellbore (I think the spelling is close) and
wanted
a second opinion on which one (if either) I should go with.

Version I

Mass 3 +1/arc, Cost 10 +5/arc, may only be mounted with no more than two
arcs.

Damage and range is as per A-Batt.  However, all hits by the HB do
damage
as if the target had 1 less level of shield (this is total, not per HB
and
only HB damage is modified in this way).

Version II

Mass 3 +1/arc, Cost 10 +5/arc, may only be mounted with no more than two
arcs.

Damage and range is as per A-Batt.  However, for each point of damage
that
a ships sustains from a HB(s) each shield must survive a special
HB-Threshold check.  This check is on a 6+ and is not modified (as other
threshold checks are) by previous checks nor does it modify any future
threshold checks.

I have some balance problems with this one, but they can be worked out.
It
is the concept of how each works that I'm most concerned with.

For those of you who don't know.  The Hellbore was a Hydron weapon that
had
a special interaction with shields.  In Starfleet Battles ships have 6
shields (one per hex side) with damage boxes on each.  As a shield is
damaged boxes are checked off until the ship takes internals.  A lot of
the
game tactics deal with keeping a strong shield to an opponent while
trying
to get close to his weak shields.

The Hellbore is a Heavy weapon with the special effect of half of its
damage is spread among five of the targets (stronghest) shields while
the
weakest (sixth) takes the other half.  So, the Hydrons are able to
clobber
you regardless of what facing you give to them.  This causes massive
problems as the Hydrons are VERY heavy into fighters and the fighters
have
a good chance of moving into that now (even more) weakened shields arc.

I thnk the first version of the weapon above does a better job of
showing
the Hellbores "I look for a weak point in your shielding" concept.  But,
think the second version does a better job of giving the weapons feel
for
'supporting' the fighter attacks.

Just thought I would ask.  Got plenty of time to work this out as the
next
battle is a Klingon/Fed battle anyhow.	The Hydrons are for a friend who
has collected the fleet and wants to give Full Thrust a try.

Chad

Prev: The wide open road Next: Re: The wide open road