Prev: Re: Late-Nite ramblings on LEGO-Grunt Next: Weapon Question

The wide open road

From: Nic Robson <nicr@e...>
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 1998 11:58:17 +1100
Subject: The wide open road

Down here in Australia we also travel enormous distances to go to shows.

Being a trader and manufacturer of GZG products I suppose I go out of
the
way to visit shows more than most since it is how I earn my living.

Cancon is probably one of the best attended shows in Australia and as
Simon
says it is attended by well under a thousand people. But I willingly
travel
7 hours to get there.
In comparison  our local show in Melbourne takes 40 minutes to drive to
and
the furthest show I attend is in Brisbane a drive of 24 hours split over
two days.

Having driven in both the States and the UK I can say that our roads
here
are much better and faster than in either, a 12 hour journey feels like
four hour one in the UK, and with speed limits on the open highway of
100
or 110 Kph you travel a much further distance than in the US in a
similar
time period.

Just my two bobs worth and if anyone is thinking of visiting Australia
let
us know if you want to play an intercontinental FT!

>Interested in coming to Canberra in Australia?  Our club runs a
>convention called CANCON over the Australia Day Weekend (24-26
January).
>We get about 650 people, two hundred of those are wargamers , 350 are
>roleplayers and the rest are magic and board gamers.  Full Thrust runs
>plus hopefully Dirtside and Star Grunt demos.
>
>Simon LeRay-Meyer
>CANCON Dealer Co-Ordinator

is
>up to £300 - a 20%
>		increase, not as bad as the US one but still bad enough.
>This makes it more
>		expensive than the biggest wargame show (Salute, a
>one-day show with about
>		3000 people in) which costs us more like £270 for 12'
of