Prev: FT PBEM (was: Anti-missile defenses in FT) Next: Re: FT PBEM (was: Anti-missile defenses in FT)

Re: FT PBEM (was: Anti-missile defenses in FT)

From: "Beep?? Whaddya mean, 'beep'? I don't speak 'beep'!" <KOCHTE@s...>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 1997 15:11:33 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: FT PBEM (was: Anti-missile defenses in FT)

>>>Try a little PBEM?
>>Of course, someone has to be running a scenario, with slots open, to
>>do the PBeM route...	;-)
>
>Are there rules for PBEM available? I'd have thought it would be a bit
>slow... also, are there any rules for non-refereed PBEM games?

Well, yeah, PBeM is a bit slower than RL playing...

There aren't any specific 'rules' for PBeM that I am aware of. There are
formats in how GMs run things. Otherwise it's essentially the same as RL
playing: you give your ship(s) their movement orders and fire orders
(these
can be as complex as you want - but remember who has to interpret them!)
and submit them to the GM by a certain deadline. Your friendly
neighborhood
GM then moves your ships (and those of your opponent(s)), resolves any
combat situations that come up and meet your fire orders, fills out a
'detection report' to let you know the status of your ship(s) and the
results of that turn's combat (if any). Generally I try and give a 1
week
turnaround time for this. So a 10-turn game will likely last 10 weeks.
Yeah, slow, but still works. The 1 week turnaround time allows for other
RL interference to be dealt with (I have always encouraged my players to
submit orders in early if at all possible, and for the most part they do
do so). You can probably tweak that depending on the time availability
of the players involved (but always be aware the outside RL influence
will
disrupt this; it's happened in every game I've ever been a GM or played
in).

For what it's worth. I don't know of any non-refereed PBeM rules, but if
you have an honorable opponent, you could prolly work something out
(though
tricky to check this over email; email isn't as instantaneous as we'd
like)

Mk
-
All that is gold does not glitter,
     all those who wander are not lost.

http://www.bcpl.lib.md.us/~indy/index.html

Prev: FT PBEM (was: Anti-missile defenses in FT) Next: Re: FT PBEM (was: Anti-missile defenses in FT)