Prev: Re: Missile boats Next: RE: Anti-missile defenses in FT

Anti-missile defenses in FT

From: "Nathan" <njp@c...>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 22:45:27 -0600
Subject: Anti-missile defenses in FT

With all the talk about missile boats, I was wondering what others
thought
about the current state of missile defenses.

By the rules, about the only thing that can deal with missiles are
ADAFs,
PDAFs, and C bats.  Each system gets one chance to hit a missile on a
roll
of a 6.  This seems a pretty poor chance to me.

Considering that a missile has the following pros and cons:

Pros
1) has the mass of a B bat
2) costs less in points than a B bat with two arcs
3) ignores shields
4) does 2d6 damage

Cons
1) one shot
2) 3 turn life
3) limit of 18" movement per turn

Seems to me that missiles are an excellent way to go vs. beams.  If I
had a
mass 40 battlecruiser, I could load it up with 10 missiles (if I didn't
bother with shields or *DAFs).	If each missile did average damage
(let's
say 6 pts each and 8 out of 10 got through = 48 damage points), it would
pretty much chew up anything it came across (considering a fleet carrier
has
49 damage points).

On the defender's side, let's say I've got a superdreadnought (with 40
damage points) and an escort of two escort cruisers.  That's five ADAF
and
PDAFs to defend the superdreadnought.  I might get 1 or 2 missiles if I
was
lucky.	Result is a dead superdreadnought.  Then my missile laden
escorts
take out the defenseless escorts... but that's another story.

Does anyone else think that missiles are way too difficult to be
defended
against?
How does stack up with current missile defenses?  (what are the odds of
Phalanx hitting a Exocet or Harpoon?)

Suggestions to deal with missiles better:
1) increasing the odds of *DAF systems and C bats to hit missiles might
be a
good idea. (hit on 5 or 6)
2) allow ECM to affect the chances a missile has to hit
3) allow fighters to attack missiles

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Nathan

Prev: Re: Missile boats Next: RE: Anti-missile defenses in FT