Prev: Vectored movement Next: Re: small ships

Re: small ships

From: mehawk@c... (Michael Sandy)
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 15:29:48 -0800
Subject: Re: small ships

> Greetings all,
>
> Reference the collection of small ships that have recently been
> seen buzzing around the list:
>
> BINARY STAR-TYPE 1 (DE) - DESTROYER
> John T Leary - realjtl@sj.bigger.net

> SYST:
>  FCS
>  FCS
>  B Beam  PFS
>  B Beam  PFS
>  C Beam  PFS
>  C Beam  PFS

The added firecontrol system is a giveaway that this ship
is meant to go after small craft.  The two C beams can of
course be used in an anti-missile role.  It is problematic.
What you need is a weapon system that provides its own
fire control system to be effective.  Maybe half-sized
missiles would be good, or some kind of scatter pack missile.

> BINARY STAR-TYPE 2 (DE) - DESTROYER
> John T Leary - realjtl@sj.bigger.net

> SYST:
>  FCS
>  FCS
>  A Beam  PFS
>  C Beam  PFS
>  C Beam  PFS
>  C Beam  PFS
>
> I have sent these to Brian for the FT Registry,  submitted here for
> comment (No excessive verbal brutality please!).

Since using the C-Beams in anti-missile anti-fighter role requires
a fire control system each, perhaps you should replace of one of your
C-Beams with a PDAF.

Building this class of ship implies knowledge that your prospective
opponent is building lots of 2 and 4 mass ships.  Otherwise,
separately targetting B-beams would be a totally silly idea!
When inside range for C-Beams, your 3 C-Beams would do 3d6, same
as your A-Beam.  If I had such positive knowledge I'd build
12 mass ships with 1 A-Beam PCS and 1 ADAF.  That way I could
get the missile even if it was launched before I killed the launcher.

> If sending this sort of thing out is in error, please advise.
>
> bye for now,
> John L.

I am of course, neglecting the other benefit of having two fire
control systems.  This ship can scan twice as many ships as an
ordinary scout.  If it is to be employed in a scout role, consider
an A pcs, 2 C pcs and enhanced sensors.  2d6 could still force
a threshold check on a 4 mass ship.

I think I'd still rather have 3 12 mass ships than 2 of this
design.

Against any ships heavier than 4 mass, there isn't any point for
a frigate to want to target them separately.

An extra FCS on a cruiser would make a lot of sense in a gunboat
swatting role, as 15 mass can easily provide enough weapons for
sure kills on three 2-4 mass gunboats.

Of the two ships, versus 2-mass gunboats I'd go with the
Binary Star-Type 1   (Good name, highly evocative of its second FCS)

Michael Sandy

Prev: Vectored movement Next: Re: small ships