Prev: Re: [OFFICIAL] Salvo Missiles etc. Next: Re: [OFFICIAL] Salvo Missiles etc.

Re: [OFFICIAL] Salvo Missiles etc.

From: Peter Ramos <pramos1@i...>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 19:13:04 -0400
Subject: Re: [OFFICIAL] Salvo Missiles etc.

Jason Stephensen wrote:

> >Actually, GW aka the Evil Empire (at least on this list) tried to do
the
> >same thing, but with its aggressive release schedule,  a small group
of
> >games designers being responsible for a broad variety of games, and
the
> >sheer volume generated by their larger player base, it soon proved
> >impossible.	A shame really, for that same aggressive release
schedule
> >occasionally leaves gaping holes in their rules and they need to
distribute
> >clear, well-considered solutions and patches.  Too bad their house
organ
> >fails in this regard.

GW always works rapidly, thus to guarantee the steady stream of new
product on the market, rules quality is secondary to the sales of figs.
GW will always support a shoddy system as long as the figure sales keep
their projected pace. As for the value of their game magazine White
Dwarf, its generally worthless to the gamer unless used as a catalogue.

> I recall that on the space-marine list they asked us for ideas on the
new
> epic97, and even claimed that they had taken ideas that the list had
already
> chatted about. The trouble was after that we heard nothing back from
them,
> and when the game came out it was such a disappointment to so many
people
> that I know of who loved the previous game that they dropped it out.
It
> seems to me that unless the game is easilly power gamed the evil
empire
> dosen't support it.

I agree. It seems GW's rules quality, instead of maturing with
experience, just gets worse. Almost everywhere there seems to be nothing
but contempt for this "epic 40K".

> They even admitted once that the groups they had on playtesting were
> friendly players, and while they are the best type to actually play
against,
> the power vampires out there are the ones that turn up at cons and
tournies
> with every hole in the rules exploited to the max and spoil all the
fun of
> the game. If they managed to playtest their games better then they
might not
> be so hideous to play.

One of the most annoying aspects of GW is that they seem to blame the
gamers for finding and exploiting their rules, boasting our lack of
proper "attitude" so as to deflect opinion away from their lack of
vision. GW's probably the only large games corp. that while having a
large gamer population where it could easily derive playtesting benefits
(and many would do it gladly for free)and does not do so. They seem to
believe that a few "studio" games will come up with every possible
situation imaginable and those that later appear are due to poor gamer
attitude.

On another note..

Having recently played Dirtside II, I was wondering if a full conversion
of all epic models to DSII. I've seen some attempts posted on some web
pages and that has wetted my appetite to try this out.

Is there any interest for such a thing?

Peter

Prev: Re: [OFFICIAL] Salvo Missiles etc. Next: Re: [OFFICIAL] Salvo Missiles etc.