Prev: RE: DG2: Tougher AFV Next: Star Grunt 2 : Whenit finaly comes together.

Re: DG2: Tougher AFV

From: "When in doubt, accelerate" <KOCHTE@s...>
Date: Sun, 25 May 1997 21:24:26 -0400
Subject: Re: DG2: Tougher AFV

>I am looking to convert another gaming system to DS2. In this game I
need=

>to make a group of Armored Fighting Vehicles's tougher than normal
AFV's.=

>I see a couple of ways to do this. I would like input as to which is
the =

>best and most consistant way to handle this.
>
>1) Ignore armor maximums. This way I could add a higher level of armor
=

>than the maximum rating equal to the vehcile size. Under this rule I =
>
>could make the armor equal to 1 or 2 higher than the actual size of the
=

>vehcile. Thus a size 3 vehicle could have level 4 or 5 armor. This
would =

>not make the vehicle harder to hit, but harder to damage. However, I
was =

>hoping to do a more direct armor conversion.

I've put together a small ton of AFV designs, and a few of them I found
to make them 'work' I felt it reasonable to 'break' the rules as given.
I think if you use common sense, don't go overboard, and be reasonable,
you should be able to 'break' the rules on occassion.

For example, I have one tank (PanEuropean Light Tank by chance :) that
I consider small in size, but it's gun (fixed) runs nearly the entire
length of the tank and is fairly substantial. I maxed it out, giving
it an HKP/5. Fixed mount meant it took up 10 'spaces', which is exactly
how much a small AFV has.

One other tank I have (don't know where I got it from) I gave one
extra level of armor, because it felt right for *that* tank to have,
for how it's designed/sculpted (as compensation in mine own book I
gave it slow tracked movement; *shrug*)

Another tank has two seperate independently pointing weapons/guns
(Epic WH40K Land Raider). I made this sucker V-Large and gave it
an extra fire control so it could track 2 different targets. It
just made sense that this tank could do that (well, I think tanks
should be able to fire on multiple targets with different weapons
as long as the targets are within arc, but I don't push it  ;-)

My philosophy is that if you're *reasonable* about your designs,
try to stick to the given rules as much as you can, don't *abuse*
any infractions you make with the rules, you should be able to 'get
away with' the occassional exception.

You might be SOL if you're playing with rules lawyers, though.	;-)

My take on it all. My response to your dilemma. Hope it's helpful.

Mk
-
"So close no matter how far
Couldn't be much more from the heart
Forever trusting in who we are
No nothing else matters"	  -  Metallica, "Nothing Else Matters"

Prev: RE: DG2: Tougher AFV Next: Star Grunt 2 : Whenit finaly comes together.