Prev: Re: IFF aid, please... Next: Re: IFF aid, please...

Mecha Carnage and Aargh!

From: rpaul@w... (Robin Paul)
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 11:23:03 -0400
Subject: Mecha Carnage and Aargh!

Hallo gents-  re Aargh!  I got through the viva OK, and thanks to all of
you
who wished me luck- "all on the Full Thrust email list" is in my
acknowledgements list!	And all it means is I'm smarter than the
caterpillars...

	I've also been having a shot at "Mecha Carnage" since I regained
consciousness.	I've been playing solo with the handful of mecha I own.
My
early impressions are _very_ positive.

The complexity level is closer to, but less than, that of DS2 rather
than
FT, and neatly combines playability with anime-style chrome.  The game
requires d4/6/8/10/12/20.  Players take turns to activate single mecha,
as
per FT.  You don't have any of that high definition hit location stuff,
and
tracing the fate of every Joule of energy, that stopped me playing
Battletech more than twice  There is a critical hit system which works
simply and well.  The system is generic and easily "tweakable" to
specific
backgrounds.  There is a points system, which seems to be a reasonable
one.
Different tech. level mechs of the same size have different capacities
for
weapons, and different effective ranges with the same weapons.	The
"Macro
Size level" idea would let you run real monsters in the same game as
more
"normal" (if that makes any sense for mecha!) machines.  Transformable
mecha
are included.

	Overall, it is exactly the level at which I want to play
mecha/anime, and if I'd been told it was a GZG game I wouldn't have been
surprised, which is high praise.

Cheers,
Rob

"Rob Paul
NERC Institute of Virology
Mansfield Road, Oxford OX1 3SR	  Tel. (01865) 512361
rpaul@worf.molbiol.ox.ac.uk
  "Once again, Villainy is rotting meat before the maggots of justice!"
--"

Prev: Re: IFF aid, please... Next: Re: IFF aid, please...