Prev: Re: "Harpoon in Space" Next: RE: GZG questions

Re: campaigns

From: Joachim Heck - SunSoft <jheck@E...>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 11:05:44 -0500
Subject: Re: campaigns

Mikko Kurki-Suonio writes:

@:) ... If you don't have the time to repair an existing ship, you
@:) certainly don't have the time to build ships from scratch.

  This is true.  It does remind me of one very successful campaign I
participated in some time ago (this was (duck yet again) SFB but could
easily be modified to pretty much any space combat system).  The
theory was that each player was running a small mining operation in
orbit around a wormhole which would spew out valuable ore-containing
asteroids at some regular interval.  The players got "money" for
harvesting the asteroids, and/or less money for gathering information
about the wormhole.  Players were allowed to perform limited repairs
on their ships between turns and were also allowed to "purchase" new
ships from home.  This system allowed us to have both repairs and new
ships simultaneously - it was quite similar to the "prestige" system
used in Panzer General, for those of you who've played that.

  My current group is now considering running a modified version of
this campaign (I and one of the others were in the original campaign)
because it was a simple and straightforward way to create nasty combat
situations, what with everybody rushing in with their fleets and not
enough asteroids to go around.	It did lack quite a bit in the
variation department, given that the scenarios were all pretty
self-similar, but its advantages keep bringing it to the top in our
campaign arguments.

-joachim

Prev: Re: "Harpoon in Space" Next: RE: GZG questions