Prev: Re: campaigns Next: Re: campaigns

Re: "Harpoon in Space"

From: Michael Llaneza <mllaneza@s...>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 10:37:36 -0500
Subject: Re: "Harpoon in Space"

At 6:01 AM -0800 3/28/97, Joachim Heck - SunSoft wrote:
>  My understanding was that the phalanx system was not operational at
>the time.  This may or may not be true and it also may or may not have
>anything to do with my further understanding that during trials of the
>phalanx system the device was activated and immediately targetted the
>rotating radar on the mast of the ship and blew it away - prompting
>captains to leave the system deactivated except when they were ordered
>to turn it on.  Anyone able to confirm or deny?
>
>  As for my opinion on FT's handling of missiles, shooting them down
>on a 6 is ok, but it seems like fighters should be able to engage
>them.
>
>-joachim

As I recall from the Stark incident, the CIWS was out of arc and unable
to engage the missile.

Michael Carter Llaneza
http://www.hypnotic.com/
Devolution is very real to me.

Processor	     Clock Speed       Bytemark Integer Benchmarks
Pentium 	       90 MHz			      1.0
Pentium 	      200 MHz			      2.1
PowerPC 603e	      117 MHz			      2.2
Pentium Pro	      200 MHz			      2.8