Prev: Re: Where this all started... Next: Re: Where this all started...

Re: A long, rambling farewell

From: jon@g... (Ground Zero Games)
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 05:30:03 -0500
Subject: Re: A long, rambling farewell

The Beast wrote:

>-Well, looking at the bases to those first SFB mini's, with the
hex-based
>-overlays, and saw that they perfectly matched Full Thrust's 12 pt turn
>-with the off-set four fire arcs. Sorry, but I can't help but think
this
>-is not a coincidence. Now, for those who think this is some claim of
>-plagarism, please bugger off. Between the four arcs of the plastic
base,
>-and the hex lines with lines between to mark different arcs, from STBM
>-and SFB respectively, I firmly believe Mr. Tuffley created something
new
>-and wonderful.

In fact, the 12-point course system was derived from an eight-point
"compass rose" one first used by Dave Rotor in Skytrex's "Galactic
Warfare"
rules back in (I think) '74. I do have a copy of the Zocchi Star Fleet
battle Manual, but I got that some time after coming up with the basic
rules I posted the other day.

>-As long as I'm trying to figure precursors to FT, may I assume that
the
>-person that suggested the dead fire arc was a Starfire player? I don't
>-doubt that this has been in other games, but none come to mind right
away.
>-And do any of those familiar with the old naval game Seastrike wonder
if
>-there isn't some connection to the icons on the FT ships? ;->=

No, AFAIK the originator of the dead rear arc had never played Starfire
(surprisingly, nor have I...).
Yes, the icons were inspired by (read: "nicked from") Seastrike - one of
my
all-time favourite games (how I love drawing the "kill enemy command
post"
mission and winning the game in the first turn with a nice big
airstrike....).

>Unfortunately, this may be my only post to the list. While I've enjoyed
the
>refreshing civility of the posters to the group, I have been hit with
some
>admin flack about the vast numbers of mail files waiting for me if I
don't
>stay on it daily. It looks like I'll have to quit inspite of how much
I've
>enjoyed lurking here; and right after posting this. Best flame me
directly.

>The_Beast, signing off...

Sorry to lose you. I have replied to this on the list anyway because
some
of the answers might be of interest generally.

Jon T.

Prev: Re: Where this all started... Next: Re: Where this all started...