Prev: Re: Campaign rules? Next: Re: FT III, BIg ships and such.

Re: Why big ships are too good...

From: Samuel Penn <sam@b...>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 13:46:55 -0500
Subject: Re: Why big ships are too good...

In message <Pine.OSF.3.93.961208014109.25503A-100000@oak.cats.ohiou.edu>
you wrote:

> On 7 Dec 1996, Brian Bell wrote:
>

> > Yes, but would you take a 1000 points of Escorts agianst a 1000
points of
> > Capitals? Or 1000 tons of Escorts agianst 1000 tons of Capitals?
>
> I would accept that 1000 tons of escorts are probably going to have
more
> than a passing problem dealing with 1000 tons of capitals, but then
that
> is why we build ships by points :)
>

> > As you point
> > out, the problem is not, so much, with the offensive system
construction costs.
> > Escorts are at a range disadvantage against Capitals, but this is
(somewhat)
> > offset by Escorts' better maneuverablility.

Why a range disadvantage? Escorts can field A-bats just as easily
as Capital ships.

> > The problem occurs because screens
> > on Capitals save them so much more damage than a similiary protected
Escort.

3 levels of screens on an escort quarters damage taken.
3 levels of screens on a capital ship quarters damage taken.
Where's the difference?

> > more even. In addition, Escorts reach the threshold points much too
quickly in
> > proportion to Capitals. Threshold rows should be filled in straight
across and
> > max out at 5 per row (Each ship would have tons/10 rows). This would
give
> > smaller ships a more even chance.

Disagree. I'd actualy argue the other way and say all ships should have
the same number of rows, so larger ships aren't crippled so much by lots
of threshold checks.

And then there are EMP missiles, which can _really_ cripple big ships
(and exactly how is an EMP missile supposed to work in the vacuum of
space??? EMP is caused by an atmospheric effect after all).

> How many people out there have used Superships?  What were the
results?

Depends. Often, the enemy says "Look! A supership! Destroy it!" and it's
one of the first things to die. I've got a mass 150 super dreadnaught,
which tends to be used in a carrier/massive firepower role. When it
doesn't get picked on, it can cause a *lot* of damage.

--
Be seeing you,
Sam.

Prev: Re: Campaign rules? Next: Re: FT III, BIg ships and such.