Prev: Re: Campaign rules? Next: Re: Why big ships are too good...

Re: Campaign rules?

From: Mike Miserendino <phddms1@c...>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 13:40:42 -0500
Subject: Re: Campaign rules?

Oerjan Ohlson wrote:
>Eh... yes and no. Hal was trying to convert displacement tons into ship

>_volume_, not ship _mass_. A 40kTon ship will displace 40kTon of fluid
>(water, usually <g>) or else it sinks, but the _volume_ displaced is
the
>volume of the part of the ship below the waterline. Looking at many
>modern ships, this is less than half the total volume of the ship.

Yes, I understand after Rob Paul mentioned it.	Another point to make is
that if internal volume is be calculated based on mass, a conversion
rate
would be required for each material type used, unless we just assumed
mass
equates to one volume measure.	A conversion rate might be appropriate
for
tech levels and alien technology(e.g. a composite might have more mass
than
an advanced composite, thus an advanced composite ship would have more
internal volume than an equal mass composite ship).  Just something to
ponder.

Mike Miserendino

Prev: Re: Campaign rules? Next: Re: Why big ships are too good...