Prev: Re: Aliens in SII/DSII (was Re: Mixed Small Arms Squad) Next: Ship Record Sheets

re:FT3( - Fighters and ship speeds)

From: Oerjan Ohlson <f92-ooh@n...>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 06:06:03 -0400
Subject: re:FT3( - Fighters and ship speeds)

On 25 Sep 1996 M.J.Elliott@uk22p.bull.co.uk wrote:

> >Mike,
> >	   Did Jon have any thoughts on ship velocities during
playtesting to
> >deal with these issues?

[snip]

> Sorry, rambled a bit. Anyway, what I'm getting at is that here in the
UK,
> the _average_ size table is 6ft * 4ft. Houses over here are smaller
than
> most in the US, so there's not room for a bigger table usually.
Therefore
> FT _was designed for play on a 6*4_. On a table this size ships tend
not to
> move that fast and so there was no problem with fighters being limited
to a
> speed of 12". It worked and it was fun.

Well - another thing to remember is that you British tend to measure
distances in inches. A 6ft*4ft table is HUGE if you measure in cm
instead!

I play on a 120cm*80cm table, and have no real problems with speeds of
20+ for my capitals - 15 cm is slow.

However, using true vector movement rules for both ships and fighters,
and giving the fighters 12 points of thrust, remedies that...

Later,

Oerjan Ohlson

"Father, what is wrong?"
"My shoes are too tight. But it does not matter, because
 I have forgotten how to dance."
- Londo Mollari

Prev: Re: Aliens in SII/DSII (was Re: Mixed Small Arms Squad) Next: Ship Record Sheets