Prev: RE: Re:Something Strange.. Next: Re: B5 BREWs update.

Re: IRe: More ideas on B5

From: I wouldn't go out with a woman who I wouldn't trust on belay <KOCHTE@s...>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 21:59:34 -0400
Subject: Re: IRe: More ideas on B5

>>	I don't know if I like the idea of the heavier beam batteries
being
>>used as interceptors.  I don't think it has been done in the series
>>(correct me if I am wrong).
>
>OK. The Churchill and Agamemnon used their heavy forward batteries to
>defend against incoming fire from the Arippa and Rowanoak.

Just a point: the BREWs of the Churchill and Aggie went into some kind
of
'interceptor' mode, which I can handle. Basically their BREWs can switch
modes, kinda sorta like the PDAFs go from anti-fighter, anti-missile,
and
anti-fire.

But it's not clear if the incoming fire was from the Agrippa and
Roanoke,
or from their fighters (or maybe from any of the Hyperion-class ships in
the area). Least my copy of the tape doesn't make it clear.  :-/

>>> Big beam weapon.
>
>>> Only one per ship max.
>
>>	Only one?  The Omegas carry a pair of beam cannons in front and
four in
>>the rear.  They can fire one at a time or together.  The Hyperion
>>cruisers (at least the current versions) carry at least one.
>
>The system represents power shunts and barrels. The limiting factor is
>power. So only one power system per ship, that can be discharged
through
>any of the available barrels. Forward only on a cruiser, Forward or Aft
>on a Capital. I'm one of those people who tends away from the idea that
>each gun has to be represented by a separate system.

I'm still one to lean towards multiple systems. That way the forward
BREW(s)
can be knocked out on a Capital, but it can still work with any aft
BREW(s)
it carries.

Also, I like the idea of smaller-scale BREWS being mounted to fire port
or
starboard. The big BREWs would only fire forward and/or aft, along
spinal
column of ship.

>>	Declare fire before movement!  What fun is that?
>
>It's to force people to think rather than blast away as soon as the
>beam is charged.

With provisions to not fire if the target is no longer in arc?

Mk
-
Daune: "How can you be asleep and getting ready at the same time?"

Indy: "I'm multi-tasking..."

Prev: RE: Re:Something Strange.. Next: Re: B5 BREWs update.