Prev: SGII Questions Next: Re: Gone to GenCon

Re: CMD Future Wars products

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@s...>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 1996 22:38:01 -0400
Subject: Re: CMD Future Wars products

At 10:51 AM 8/17/96 PST, you wrote:

>They let us peek through them ONCE and it was like
>looking through binocs. VERY limited so weearing them has that hazard.
>Also, some of the 82nd Airborne guys I talked to said that they aslo
>cause excessive eye strain ... wearing them for more than an hour
caused
>migranes ... Remember, a firefight may only last a few minutes, but the
>recon ops can last days.

My cousin is in the Canadian Reg Force. He told me that SOP is to wear
them
for no more than 30 minutes when using them for driving, and then spell
the
driver. He once wore them for three hours and had trouble standing
afterwards. It had something to do with how they buggered up his vision
versus what his inner ear was saying.

While we're on the topic, you'd probably STILL use cammo nets
(heat/light
disipating, or not) even if everyone is using IR gear. No matter what,
you'll ALWAYS have eyeballs (okay, unless you've been blinded by lasers,
etc.), so there will always be a need to camouflage yourself from
regular
vision and standard photographs.

This sort of reminds me of the vehicles in Warhammer 40,000, like the
Land
Raider. The human forces have all these weapons with flat sides and shot
traps. I'm sorry, I don't care how good your armour is, you simply don't
give up sloped armour techniques unless you are ABSOLUTELY sure that
NOTHING
can or ever will penetrate the armour and armour weight means nothing.

Allan

Allan Goodall:	agoodall@sympatico.ca
 I'm riding high upon a deep depression.

Prev: SGII Questions Next: Re: Gone to GenCon