Prev: Re: Star Wars Models ... Next: Re: Star Wars Models ...

Re: Star Wars Models ...

From: "Christopher Weuve" <caw@i...>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 13:37:53 -0400
Subject: Re: Star Wars Models ...

Oerjan Ohlson said:
> >Of course, I haven't seen any other fighter games, so I can't point
> >you at anything better :(

Thinking about this got me thinking about other individual-ship,
tactical,
space combat games.  Here is the list of that I can think of off the top
of my
head:

Name		 Publisher	Affiliation	Note
Slag!		 BTRC		-		cost is $8
Brill. Lances	 GDW		TNE
Battle Rider	 GDW		TNE
Mayday		 GDW		CT		Triplanetary system
Triplanetary	 GDW		-		GREAT! Now owned by SJG
Interceptor	 FASA		Renegade Legion small ships
Leviathan	 FASA		Renegade Legion big ships
Slag!		 BTRC		-
Voidstriker	 Nightshift	-		new module coming out
(?)
AeroTech	 FASA		BattleTech	superceded by
BattleSpace
BattleSpace	 FASA		BattleTech
Full Thrust	 Ground Zero	GZG universe	minis
Star Command	 ??		-		very small publisher
Delta Vee	 SPI		Universe RPG	difficult to play
Star Strike	 ICE		SpaceMaster
Silent Death	 ICE		SpaceMaster
Shooting Stars	 Yaquinto	-
Star Warriors	 WEG		Star Wars
Deep Space Nav.  Tac. Templates -
BS Galactica	 FASA		-		included Galactica &
basestar
Last Starfighter FASA		-		used BS Galactica system
Last SF micros	 FASA		-
Attack Force	 T$R		-
Alien Space	 Zocchi 	-
SF Battle Manual Zocchi 	-		Alien Space system
SF Battles	 TFG		-		not even at gunpoint
SF Tac. Com. Sim.FASA		Star Trek	a lot of fun
Space Opera	 FGU		Space Opera	RPG ship combat rules
Company War	 Mayfair	CJ Cherryh	strategic OK, tactical
bad
Star Cruiser	 GDW		2300ad		convert to Full
Thrust???

This list is by no means complete.

Some of these designs are more elegant than others.  For example (IIRC),
most
of the FASA games use a chart to determine how many thrust points you
need to
change heading at a particular speed (yuck!), while Star Strike states
that
since there is no friction in space, a ship which is not using thrust
will
move _half_ the distance it moved last turn (double yuck!).

Paul Neher said:
> I have played Silent Death (about the only other fighter game on
> the market I think), and of course Aerotech, but I don't think you
> can really count that one. But I have yet to find any other system
> that allows you the intricacies of space fighter jinking, looping,
> rolling, etc. than Star Warriors. It's ESPECIALLY cool when you play
> it with the Star Wars snap-model kits on a LARGE area! Way cool!

Sometimes I find myself in the mood for this, and sometimes I don't.
Full
Thrust does a reasonable job of adding vector-type effects without a lot
of
rules overhead, but sometimes you just need vectors.  Triplanetary does
this
well, albeit at a very large scale (the entire solar systems from Sol to

Jupiter).  Mayday is a better choice for vector-based fighter combat.

Christopher Weuve  [caw@intercon.com]
Through sheer random chance, my employer may
someday agree with something I say.

Prev: Re: Star Wars Models ... Next: Re: Star Wars Models ...