Prev: RE: DSII & SGII: Looking for info on Jerry Pournelle's Saurons Next: Re: Those annoying aliens...

Re: Silent Death, Coca-cola, and the meaning of it all...

From: Joe A Troche <jtroche@c...>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 13:55:50 -0400
Subject: Re: Silent Death, Coca-cola, and the meaning of it all...

Hi,

When I picked up "Full Thrust" I was looking for a starship combat
system
for "GURPS Space".  Since FT would supplement an RPG in which ships were

described in terms of volume (cubic yards or meters) I "cooked" up the
numbers.  I was able to do this after I read the Cargo Space
requirements
from "More Thrust".  I then compared these with the starship
construction
rules from GURPS and dug out Traveller to see how the numbers looked
compared to my numbers.

I calculated that 1 mass in FT is equivalent to 312.5 cu/m (or cu/yds if

you prefer).

So the FT scout is 1250 cu/m.  [In Traveller the classic scout ship is
1400 cu/m.]  This means that the largest ship allowed in the core rules
is only 31250 cu/m.  When compared to an earthbound naval vessel, I
can't
remember the exact number but I think it's about 1/3 the size of the
largest air craft carrier.

Joe A. Troche
http://www.cs.pdx.edu/~jtroche

On Mon, 10 Jun 1996, Paul A Neher wrote:

> >Here's my general classifications, and I'd be interested in other
> >people's opinions:
> >
> >Star Destroyer--my biggest ships, I use them as big Cruisers.
>
> I use a Star Destroyer as a mass 100!
>

> >Corellian Corvettes--Medium/Escort Cruisers
>
> Mass =10, escort class
>

> >Millennium Falcons--Light Cruisers (or Strike Cruisers)
>
> Mass=4, escort
>
> >Tie Bombers/Y-Wing Fighters--Destroyers (though they're pretty
> >big...maybe they should be Light Cruisers as well)
>
> TIE Bombers = Torpedo fighter squadrons
> Y-Wings = Attack Fighters squadrons
>
> >Tie Fighters--Frigates (though maybe /these/ should be Destroyers)
>
> TIE Fighters = normal fighter squadrons
>
> >Anyone whose familiar with both Micromachiens and the CMD figures,
let
> >me
> >know how the sizes compare.	If I took the plunge and bought some CMD

> >figures to give mysefl Capital ships would they fit in with the
> >Micromachines?   Or look too weird...?
> >

> The problem is there IS no scale in FT! I play almost strictly Star
Wars