Prev: Re: Those annoying aliens... Next: Re: Silent Death, Coca-cola, and the meaning of it all...

RE: DSII & SGII: Looking for info on Jerry Pournelle's Saurons

From: <jphelps@a...>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 13:49:38 -0400
Subject: RE: DSII & SGII: Looking for info on Jerry Pournelle's Saurons

>>I have a friend that wants to create a Sauron army based on Jerry
>>Pournelle's (?) books like Mote in God's Eye.  What other books are
the
>>Sauron's in?	I've searched the internet for "Saurons" & only found 1
>>reference to them.  Does anyone have suggestions how to model their
>>forces in DSII & SGII?
>
>>Thanks,
>>Nils
>
>I can't remember any 'Saurons' in 'Mote in God's Eye'. In fact I pretty
>sure that the Humans and Moties were the only two races (unless the
>Saurons is another name for the moties). There is a sequel, the Mote
>around Murchuson's Eye. (By Niven and Pournelle, as was the original)
>
>It's a while since I last looked at these two, so sorry if I've got
>anything wrong.
>
>And I've NEVER seen a mini that even remotely resembles a Motie.

The Saurons were only mentioned in passing in _Mote_ - they were the
supermen that had been the bad guys (well, they lost!) in the earlier
war.

However, the Saurons are covered much more thoroughly in the War World
collections (each book having several short stories).  At least one
short
story per collection features Saurons.	Search for "War World".

They are human - basically Homo Superior.  Genetically selected and
enhanced, they have superior senses, reflexes, musculature, etc.  Some
of
them were called cyborgs, and I think they were actually mechanically
enhanced.

In DS or SG, they would probably have higher morale, maybe be able to
take an extra action when activated, be harder to kill, etc.  They would

have smaller forces, the reason they lost the war was shear manpower
issues.

To me, I don't see the point.  I guess you could simplify by just using
elite troops, but what's the fun here?

John

**
John Phelps    ****    mailto: pbguru@cris.com or
jphelps@austin.apple.com
OIC, Gundi's Gang    -- Anything expressed above is strictly my opinion
--
MLofCbt#13: If your attack is succeeding, you are walking into an ambush

Prev: Re: Those annoying aliens... Next: Re: Silent Death, Coca-cola, and the meaning of it all...