Prev: Re: Discussion topic - rewriting (future) history....? Next: Re: Discussion topic - rewriting (future) history....?

Re: Discussion topic - rewriting (future) history....?

From: Indy <indy.kochte@g...>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 07:17:07 -0400
Subject: Re: Discussion topic - rewriting (future) history....?

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 6:55 AM, Tom B <kaladorn@gmail.com> wrote:

> textfilter: chose text/plain from a multipart/alternative
>
> Jerry,
>
> Not sure if you are right or just working with bad data... :0)

I wouldn't say bad data. I would suggest using a microcosm of data and
applying it to the macrocosm of the system.  :-)

> There are fewer LGS than their used to be, but in the same respect
their
> are
> fewer record, CD, and book stores. Do you really think our consumption
of
> music and books has declined?
>
> Bricks and mortar stores are expensive in that they require you to
maintain
> stocks. With on demand production (be that miniatures or game
printing) and
> PDFs being favoured in many cases (searchable!) for games, the reasons
for
> an LGS to exist are questionable. Even the boardgame sales have gone
online
> significantly.
>
> So, yes, this part of the business has changed. I think you hastily
> conclude
> this implies something larger about the hobby which I am not sure is
> supported.
>
> Counterpoints:
> - more miniature manufacturers and variety than I've ever seen before
by a
> far cry (but selling over the Internet)
> - major games conventions still seem to operate (if they are well
> managed.... half the problem in this area is mismanagement)
> - more rulesets available on the net for free or POD tor as PDF than
I've
> ever seen in times past
> - Plenty of blogs on miniatures gaming out there showing people
playing the
> games and a wider variety of games than in times past
> - more boardgame wargames available now than I've ever seen before
(but
> these are not your AH or SPI games... these have slick looking rules,
> boards, and modern boardgame design)

Another data point: look at how much time Jon has to work on any rules
sets,
given that he's no longer producing miniatures as much anymore. ;-)

I think there is a lot of gaming going on out there with miniatures. I
can't
> tell how much. I don't think the industry is in any danger of
disappearing
> given the number of people publishing rules and selling miniatures and
the
> number of articles on this stuff on the web. The people are ordering
> directly from suppliers and bricks and mortar stores and local gaming
> activity associated with them are in decline, but the games have also
gone
> bit more mainstream in exposure and participation.

Yeah. Gaming doesn't have the stigma it used to have 20-30 years ago, to
be
sure.

I understand, Jer, that if you are basing your premises on what's going
on
immediately around you you would think the industry is evaporating, but
would suggest that you're working with a limited data set. Down here in
Maryland, minis gaming is going on pretty strong. I know it's going well
in
New York, Virginia, and Ohio. And echoing Tom's notes about the
internet,
yeah, there have been a number of minis-related blogs that have been
springing up, easier online access to stores, email listservs being more
active (not so much our GZG list here, but some of the 15mm lists I'm on
are
moreso now than before; can't speak for any 25mm lists :) ). I believe
Eureka minis in Australia is doing well; their 300 club has been getting
some production from the feedback I've seen in some of the circles I put
my
toes in. And there are more companies now to choose from than 10 years
ago.

All in all I think it's good.  :-)

Mk