Prev: Re: Discussion topic - rewriting (future) history....? Next: Gaming is declining.. I think not

Re: Discussion topic - rewriting (future) history....?

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 13:08:36 +0100
Subject: Re: Discussion topic - rewriting (future) history....?

>TomB said:

>Jerry,
>
>Not sure if you are right or just working with bad data... :0)
>
>There are fewer LGS than their used to be, but in the same respect
their are
>fewer record, CD, and book stores. Do you really think our consumption
of
>music and books has declined?
>
>Bricks and mortar stores are expensive in that they require you to
maintain
>stocks. With on demand production (be that miniatures or game printing)
and
>PDFs being favoured in many cases (searchable!) for games, the reasons
for
>an LGS to exist are questionable. Even the boardgame sales have gone
online
>significantly.
>
>So, yes, this part of the business has changed. I think you hastily
conclude
>this implies something larger about the hobby which I am not sure is
>supported.
>
>[....snip lots of stuff....]

>I think there is a lot of gaming going on out there with miniatures. I
can't
>tell how much. I don't think the industry is in any danger of
disappearing
>given the number of people publishing rules and selling miniatures and
the
>number of articles on this stuff on the web. The people are ordering
>directly from suppliers and bricks and mortar stores and local gaming
>activity associated with them are in decline, but the games have also
gone a
>bit more mainstream in exposure and participation.
>
>Every gamer I know with kids is introducing his or her kids to it, so
that
>gives me a lot of optimism.
>
>Tom

All I can add to this is the simple fact that in over 20 years of
manufacturing and trading, I've never been busier than in the last
couple of years, and I'm glad to say that it shows no signs of
slowing down at the moment!  :-)

Jon (GZG)

Prev: Re: Discussion topic - rewriting (future) history....? Next: Gaming is declining.. I think not