Prev: Re: [GZG] A Sad Day Next: Re: [GZG] PAU Miniatures sans A Sad Day

[GZG] A bit of PAU with Re:A Sad Day

From: Doug Evans <devans@n...>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2011 09:49:24 -0500
Subject: [GZG] A bit of PAU with Re:A Sad Day

Tom B wrote on 04/23/2011 05:47:46 PM:

Para 2
> As to whether the passing of Lis Sladen is an excuse for a 'best
> companion' argument, when has this list ever required an actual
> excuse for a fun argument?

We've had the occasional excuse, like feelings being crushed, to end
one,
but otherwise, PLAY ON!

Para the first
> Yes, Ace was good. And I think I agree with your criteria. Being
> able to disable a hostile alien in some fashion would be an
> appropriate minimum for a companion.

Militant qualities, as well as 'too brainy' have actually tended to have
negative effects on a) the character's personality, and b) the
interactions
with the Doctor. I'd have to say I think a fair amount of dependency,
both
to keep us informed of the situation, and to keep us uninformed of the
solution, is required in a companion.

To quote myself off of LAF:

"Female companions have often been either scream queens, or stoically
'stiff upper lip' strong. Sarah Jane always seemed to have just the
right
balance for the drama, with a bit of extra sparkle. Many a talented and
promising following companion seemed to suffer by comparison. Case of
'they
weren't bad; she was just too good'...

Naturally, in my case, a bit unfair, really. She was my first. ;->=

Of course, condolences to Ms. Sladen's husband and daughter, but I hope
they find pleasure in world-wide fond remembrances. "

Note, I always rather assumed if I'd seen Troughton or Pertwee first, I
would never had appreciated 'that popinjay!'

> I disqualify K-9 because his presence didn't prevent another
> companion of the fleshy sort from being present. (Leela and K-9 were
> with him at the same time). K-9 is great, but I'm going to call him
> the 'pet' (he did call the Doctor 'master').

I'd go with 'tool'; interactive sonic screwdriver, but I DO quibble.

> Most of the time, having one fleshy companion was all the doctor
> got. If he got two, then the second was a rather gormless tool like
Adric.

He was, wasn't he? I think there were exceptions in the deep dark long
ago,
but I can't name one.

Slightly better if, in injecting some tension, he/she's an obvious
traitor...

> Only solitary men know the full joys of friendship. Others have
> their family; but to a solitary and an exile, his friends are
everything.
> -- Willa Cather (1873 - 1947)

Wow, quoting a Nebraska author! ;->=

Back to GZG, and FT:

> I thought the PAU bought the majority of it's ships (especially their
heavy
> warships) from foreign sources like the ESU and FSE. The fleetbook
mentions
> them buying from the ESU if I remember.

And my image was always NAC ships. I guess I always thought they looked
like assegai.  ;->=

If we get a few new PAU ships, and I'd suggest they'd definitely have at
the least a few smaller build-your-own, can they break with the current
designs that everyone but me prefers? A bit of sleek brick?

Wait, there's a new mystery fleet?

The_Beast

Prev: Re: [GZG] A Sad Day Next: Re: [GZG] PAU Miniatures sans A Sad Day