Prev: Re: [GZG] DW Companions (was: A Sad Day) Next: [GZG] A bit of PAU with Re:A Sad Day

Re: [GZG] A Sad Day

From: Samuel Penn <sam@g...>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2011 10:35:50 +0100
Subject: Re: [GZG] A Sad Day

Tom B <kaladorn@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, Ace was good. And I think I agree with your criteria. Being able
> disable a hostile alien in some fashion would be an appropriate
minimum for
> a companion.

Ace's competence suffered from poor SFX[1] and the fact that the series
had to be children friendly (taking out what was effectively an
ultra-tech heavily armed and armoured tank, with a baseball bat[2]
was just silly).

The 'New Adventures' series which was published after the TV series
ended, and which was written by adult fans for other adult fans
really turned Ace into a seriously competent veteran of the Dalek
Wars.

> I disqualify K-9 because his presence didn't prevent another companion
of
> the fleshy sort from being present. (Leela and K-9 were with him at
the
> same time). K-9 is great, but I'm going to call him the 'pet' (he did
call
> the Doctor 'master').

I liked Romana (II) - the Doctor's intellectual equivalent.

> Most of the time, having one fleshy companion was all the doctor got.
If he
> got two, then the second was a rather gormless tool like Adric.

There was Tegan and Nyssa around the same time, and neither
were particularly gormless if I recall. The first Doctor
started with 3 companions...

[1] I include quality of stunts/fights/action in this.

[2] Yes, it had been 'magicked' previously, but see [1].

--
Be seeing you,
Sam.

Prev: Re: [GZG] DW Companions (was: A Sad Day) Next: [GZG] A bit of PAU with Re:A Sad Day