Prev: Re: [GZG] Orders Writing and Thresholds, and Game Plans.... Next: [GZG] Anyone have the original FMA draft document Jon released many, many moons ago?

Re: [GZG] Orders Writing and Thresholds, and Game Plans....

From: Eric Foley <stiltman@t...>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 19:03:44 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: [GZG] Orders Writing and Thresholds, and Game Plans....

-----Original Message-----
>From: Damond Walker <damosan@gmail.com>
>On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 3:15 PM, Indy <indy.kochte@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Fleetbook designs, as was stated by Jon when they first came out, are
not
>> nor were they ever meant to be, the most efficient designs.

>And that's what makes the FB ships great.  They show differing design
>philosophy and keep it consistent throughout the fleet.  The French
>like their ordinance.	The Commies like tough ships with lots of
>beams.  The Germans build space-bricks and like their beams.  The NAC?
> Well ... who cares what they do.  :)

I liked the different things that could be done with FT2, but yeah, the
many different things you can do if you customize what's in the fleet
books and mix stuff up a bit is a lot of the appeal of the game for me
that's kept me playing it for the last ten years.  I've always enjoyed
games that allow me to customize stuff, and I've been dreaming up
different factions and alien nations that use all sorts of different
stuff based on combinations of human, Kra'Vak and Phalon tech (along
with the occasional thing I see on the web like Cross Dimensions or Star
Ranger) since the Fleet Books first came out.  (Never tried Sa'Vasku, it
doesn't really lend itself to overlap much.)

The huge game I played on Saturday pitted two of these factions as
allies and rivals up against a third, all of which used pretty different
and distinct tactics.  There were a good 10 or so others that I dreamed
up in the old days that I may or may not re-introduce into the current
game.  All sorts of different priorities go into them, from simple
efficiency to a doctrinal devotion to fighters to prestige to trying to
minimize ship casualties while striking from a distance to wanting to do
things with stealth to just sheer carapace-headed stubbornness, in
different factions.  Mix in beta test and other stuff, and I could do
this forever.  :)