Prev: Re: [GZG] FT Dice Roller Next: [GZG] Threshold checks was Re: FT Dice Roller

Re: [GZG] FT Dice Roller

From: Damond Walker <damosan@g...>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 14:14:42 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] FT Dice Roller

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 5:12 PM, Tom B <kaladorn@gmail.com> wrote:
> Damond,
> I found that there was a 'morale penalty' for being the last
> one done orders (the others all made remarks about your lackadaisical
> pace) so one learned to be fast.

The Morale Penalty could work at ECC.  I've come to know a number of
folks there quite well.  So does the "oops...you walked away from the
table?	This turn *you* drift at current speed paining over what to
do."  :)

> Usually when I'm at ECC, unless I'm the last one firing in the round,
> my orders for the new turn are written before the current turn ends.

Same here.  If I'm out of the action for the current turn I'm
scribbling orders for the next.  So I'm with ya.

> If you have a specific idea about how a tool could speed that up,
> other than the ubiquitous kitchen timer sound alarm (which still won't
> speed people up unless you inflict a big penalty if they don't get
> them done and even then this may ruin their enjoyment of the game),
> I'd be glad to hear it.

So you fear ruining the game for one person?  What about the other 5-9
people around the table?  Even then I don't think you'd have to levy
the penalty more than once.  What I don't like about large FT games is
all the shuffling of papers once the game gets interesting.  Checking
status of this...the status of that...write orders...

I'd much rather have a display showing me the pertinent information
all at once.  I may or may not want to see individual systems.	I may
only want to see a "strength map" showing the general amount of pain I
can throw out of a given facing.  When taking lots of damage (but not
enough for outright destruction) I want the app to determine and show
me what systems went down -- the summary strength map can show me that
in an instant.	If I want more detail I tap the summary image and get
the raw data.

Remove the paper and I'm happy.  Some folks may like that paper.

> People just need to learn that most of the time, the minute details of
> your planning don't make that much difference. At times, yes, but
> mostly not.

BINGO!	I've seen and subjected others to it in the past -- after you
game a bit you realize that there are situations that no amount of
brain power can get you out of.  In these situations you gotta just
clench 'em, cross your fingers, and hope that the dice gods abandon
your foe.

Damo

Prev: Re: [GZG] FT Dice Roller Next: [GZG] Threshold checks was Re: FT Dice Roller